Need lots of start up plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hello. I am currently building my 1st pond, link in siggy. We should have flowing water in a couple weeks, maybe 3. I have a 10'x3' bog, a 20' stream and pond edge plant pockets to fill so I need TONS of plants. If anyone is thinning out their plants I'd love to buy them!

Would it maybe be better to just get plants at the end of the season? or would they not survive a transplant as they are going dormant? Obviously I am completely new to plants and ponds, be gentle. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now and then members here post up offerings of excess plants for trade or postage. Think you just missed out on some but sooner or later some will be thinning their masses as the hot sun gets them really going good. Also it depends on the plants as to if they need to establish good to endure the winter. Water lilies you could do anytime but they might not produce blooms till next year. Parrots feather would do fine. The Water Hyacinth you should have now as it won't last over winter. You just have to be here when someone is in the mood to divide and ship or you could get lucky and someone local might give you some if you come and get it yourself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The j.w. I'm keeping an eye out but keep missing everything so I decided to put my feelers out. ;) I don't get on as much as I'd like to, too busy building the pond to talk about it lol. Thank you for the tips, appreciated and noted.

Reaction score
The j.w. I'm keeping an eye out but keep missing everything so I decided to put my feelers out. ;) I don't get on as much as I'd like to, too busy building the pond to talk about it lol. Thank you for the tips, appreciated and noted.
Another way of getting some plants is to go down to the local river and snag some, safely. I live in Michigan and got an interesting looking fern and plant with an arrow shaped leaf. Be warned they are native if you do this and may be invasive!!!! I was kayaking also so please be safe!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I get ambitious and do a bog cleaning, could send you some. I have installed a lot of plants late in the year they all have done well But please notice the if, I don't mess with the bog much this time of year.

I will let you know if it happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Another way of getting some plants is to go down to the local river and snag some, safely. I live in Michigan and got an interesting looking fern and plant with an arrow shaped leaf. Be warned they are native if you do this and may be invasive!!!! I was kayaking also so please be safe!!!
I have thought about doing this but am concerned with exactly what you are saying. :) I also don't know where to go, everything around me is protected.

If I get ambitious and do a bog cleaning, could send you some. I have installed a lot of plants late in the year they all have done well But please notice the if, I don't mess with the bog much this time of year.

I will let you know if it happens.

If noted and thank you. ;)

Maybe I should just get tons of floaters and parrot feathers for now then. Wait till the end of the season when people are clearing their bogs? Heck, I could drive to Addy's pond and stock my entire pond AND yard in one swoop lol. Just making a funny, I have no expectations of that happening. :D Love your pond Addy, been watching it since the beginning!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm two hour or so drive, a car load of plants......................hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Sounds like a great trip to me! (y)

I should have mentioned this in my first post, I am willing to travel for bulk plants, now or later. I'd prefer to pickup actually cuz maybe I can see others ponds, see how they divide their plants and learn more about the plants, if they are willing to teach of course.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Still looking for plants. I am looking for things like...
Marsh marigold
Dwarf and mini cattails
Forget me not
Marsh betony
Obident plant
Water willow
Mini spearwort
Water mint
Etc.

I'm figuring it's not too late to plant these?

Anyone in my plant zone have luck with canna or alocasia?

Ask a Question