Need more detail on waterfall construction

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Team,

I'm new to this place and this is my first post. Please excuse me if this has been asked before.

I have a waterfall project to be constructed ( somewhere close to the pic in attch ). How should the top portion of the waterfall be created. ? Not looking to have a sheer descent waterfall but a free fall. If the required size is 8ft x 6ft (WxH) does a 4000 - 8000 GPH pump be sufficient for this project. Any insight is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Waterfall.jpeg
    Waterfall.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
OK - let me see if I understand the question. You're building waterfall into what appears to be an existing formal pond? What part of this is 8 ft by 6ft - is that the pond size? Or are you planning a waterfall that wide and tall? Will the waterfall mimic the formal look of the pond?

My first thought to create a formal waterfall would be to use these:

cusotmer_image1_ff5b6a3b-fe64-4c15-a57b-16b13adc9fea_grande.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome. I’m also struggling to picture the difference between what you’re describing as “sheer descent” and “free fall.” Those sounds like the same thing to me.

Can you post some inspiration photos of what you’re going for?

For a natural looking waterfall (would look weird in your setting I think) rule of thumb is 100 GPH per inch of waterfall width. So if your falls is 6’ wide, that would be 7200 GPH minimum AFTER accounting for head loss.

There are lots of reasons to break this rule of thumb, but I can’t envision what you’re describing, so more info and pics would help.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Also having trouble figuring out what you are saying, I believe your inspo is the picture you attached in your inital post?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Team,

I'm new to this place and this is my first post. Please excuse me if this has been asked before.

I have a waterfall project to be constructed ( somewhere close to the pic in attch ). How should the top portion of the waterfall be created. ? Not looking to have a sheer descent waterfall but a free fall. If the required size is 8ft x 6ft (WxH) does a 4000 - 8000 GPH pump be sufficient for this project. Any insight is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Here are some details.

The idea is to construct something similar to the GIF file.

a. How should the spill way be created on the top ? I looked around everywhere and I got no help with stores or contractors.
b. Should I install ditra between the wall and surface tiles so that I don't have to worry about seepage of water ?
c. Should the pond be coated with any material to protect water from leaking into concreted overtime ?

The wall is 9 feet in length and 6 or 7 feet in height ( height can be altered ).
The pond size is 24 x 106 x 14.5 ( w x l x h ) (inches).

Appreciate each and everyone personally in helping me out here.

Thanks.

Attachments

• WaterFall_Sample_a.gif
    WaterFall_Sample_a.gif
    544 KB · Views: 11
  • WaterFall_Design.jpeg
    WaterFall_Design.jpeg
    102 KB · Views: 8

Ask a Question