Need new external filter case (?) Not sure what to search for...

Reaction score
I thank you in advance if you can help me. The frame that holds my mechanical filter is falling apart and I need to replace it, but I am not having any luck googling it, and I suppose it's because I do not know what to call it. Help please. The frame slides down into a bracket that is attached to a plastic bin that leads to the pump that sits below the skimmer. It is about 17.25" x 27" in length. I usually cut my own filter for inside when it needs replacing, but if I can find a frame that has a good filter for the pond, that would be an added bonus. Here are some pics. Thank you!

Attachments

• filter 1.jpg
    filter 1.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 289
  • filter 2.jpg
    filter 2.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 288
  • filter system.jpg
    filter system.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 329
Reaction score
It was entirely fabricated...both mechanical filter and skimmer. The filter casing I am inquiring about is for the mechanical filter. Definitely needs a handle as it slides up and down into the bin that holds it. Basically what I need to know is what terminology I need to find this on the internet. Thanks.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It was entirely fabricated...both mechanical filter and skimmer. The filter casing I am inquiring about is for the mechanical filter. Definitely needs a handle as it slides up and down into the bin that holds it. Basically what I need to know is what terminology I need to find this on the internet. Thanks.

A skimmer is a mechanical filter.

Try Googling 'Filter pad bracket', but since you say that all of this was fabricated you are not likely to find anything close to the dimensions that you need.

Reaction score
Maybe an overly simplistic answer but is it possible to replicate the original framework?
Yes, I suppose it's possible...if I can find someone to do that local within a short period of time. Thank you!

Reaction score
A skimmer is a mechanical filter.

Try Googling 'Filter pad bracket', but since you say that all of this was fabricated you are not likely to find anything close to the dimensions that you need.
Thanks Big Lou... I appreciate it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Personally I would get someone who works in aluminium to take a look at this frame for you, to see if you can get them to copy it off for you.:happy:
Then perhaps if the price is right make two or three of these frames for you so that you can replace them if things go wrong and they start to fall apart in the future :cool:.
If it was a DIY job then thats the only way your going to get to do it :).

Dave

Reaction score
Personally I would get someone who works in aluminium to take a look at this frame for you, to see if you can get them to copy it off for you.:happy:
Then perhaps if the price is right make two or three of these frames for you so that you can replace them if things go wrong and they start to fall apart in the future :cool:.
If it was a DIY job then thats the only way your going to get to do it :).

Dave[/QUOTE
Thanks Dave. I'm going to do that! At least have a backup spare to go with the new one. Have a great weekend!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
For the mesh in the frame I'd get Jap matting for that its very hard wearing nd easy to clean .

Dave

Reaction score
For the mesh in the frame I'd get Jap matting for that its very hard wearing nd easy to clean .

Dave
I think that's what I'm using Dave...think I got it from Lowe's in the furnace filter section.... And it is easy to clean. The grid that keeps it from being sucked into the filter isn't the right size though...that's why I had to cut two pieces and tie them together. I need to put more time in getting the right size. Thank you for writing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I think that's what I'm using Dave...think I got it from Lowe's in the furnace filter section.... And it is easy to clean. The grid that keeps it from being sucked into the filter isn't the right size though...that's why I had to cut two pieces and tie them together. I need to put more time in getting the right size. Thank you for writing.
I have like a 3D portcullis of Jap matting all you need do is stitch the pieces together with nylon twine so that it wont rot and they will stay togethr until you cut the stitching again our own has held together a total of 6 years so far :happy:
See photo

image_4.jpg

Dave

Reaction score
Anne as stated you won't be able to find one already made so you will have to DIY it. If the one you have can't be repaired then you could make a light weight one out of 1/2" pvc pipe the pipe is easy to cust with a saw. Get a 10 foot length of pipe and (4) 90 degree elbows. also get (4) 1/2" tee's. Use the tee's to divide the frame into equal parts say about every 10 inches. Then attach the black plastic netting that you already have to the frame with zip ties. Next attach the furnace filter to the pvc frame again you can use zip ties. You may or may not need glue to hold the farm together it just depends on how tight the fittings are. If you do need glue get pvc glue but don't bother with the primer. If the 1/2" pipe seems to flimsy then get 3/4" instead. eithewr way tyhe whole job should cost under $5 dollars.

Reaction score
One other suggestion, I was just at the Home Depot and in their lighting section they have 2x4' plastic grids that are used for recessed ceiling lights in suspended ceilings. They would work perfectly to attach a filter to using a zip tie or string. All you really need is something non flexible and rot proof. This would be a little more expensive they are about $12 dollars.

Reaction score
One other suggestion, I was just at the Home Depot and in their lighting section they have 2x4' plastic grids that are used for recessed ceiling lights in suspended ceilings. They would work perfectly to attach a filter to using a zip tie or string. All you really need is something non flexible and rot proof. This would be a little more expensive they are about $12 dollars.
Hey thank you! I am heading there this weekend...wouldn't have thought to look in the lighting section. I appreciate that bit of info SO much!!! Three cheers for YOU! Anne

Ask a Question