Need new filtration for large pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi! I used to be a member here many years ago. I forgot my username, etc, so now I'm new again! Ha!

I have a pond... about 5000 gallons, I think. It's been green for years. A few years ago, I drained it all and it was green again within a month.

I think it's my homemade filters (two 55-gallon drums) that pull from two 3" bottom drains and then flow up through lame filter material and out again to the pond.

I'm tired of not being able to see more than seven inches down and am looking for some extremely effective filtration.

We went for "home-made" 14 years ago, but can afford more now.

Any ideas for me??

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome back!

Build a bog, I never have green water or massive string algae attacks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Do what addy said. I recently built a bog and my water has never been so clear. I wish I would have done this years ago. I would have saved so much money, time and effort over the years.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your replies! We used to have a bog between the pump and the waterfall. It's still there, but with a hole in it. (I piped the flow straight to the falls.) It would take a lot to replace it. I'll consider it. I'd have to hire someone to do that.

And... I still think I need a different filter plan.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1592408764911.gif
@Lydia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome back!

Build a bog, I never have green water or massive string algae attacks.

Addy! I just spent an hour... lost in your pond build thread. Love it! Thanks bunches for sharing all of that to help others!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy! I just spent an hour... lost in your pond build thread. Love it! Thanks bunches for sharing all of that to help others!
Glad you enjoyed. I really should refresh it, but never seem to get around to it. Toooooo busy making sure all of you behave! Just kidding this is a good forum very seldom have issues.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome back. I don’t use one but I see some members posting satisfied posts about their pressure pumps, and some with cheaper brands that just hate them. If you need something you can purchase and install in the immediate they may work. By the time it’s all said and done though it might be getting close to the same cost to have someone repair the bog because even 1 good filter probably isn’t enough for a 5,000 gallon pond. I’m sure some with good systems will chime in.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you, all.

I just calculated my pond volume. Turns out my tiny, old brain forgot (by a longshot) the volume of my pond.

It's not 5,000 gallons. It's 22,000 gallons. LOL

I'm looking into two 55-gallon sand/gravel filters, hoping the ease of cleaning them with air will entice me to clean my filters more often. *rolleyes*

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look into shower filters, like Bakki or Zakki Showers. You would need a pretty large set up for your pond, but they work amazingly well and give the water an incredibly clear and polished look. They are easy to build yourself if you are at all handy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Look into shower filters, like Bakki or Zakki Showers. You would need a pretty large set up for your pond, but they work amazingly well and give the water an incredibly clear and polished look. They are easy to build yourself if you are at all handy.
Thank you! I'd never heard them called that before. I spent an hour or so checking those out.

I have a "woodlands pond" and that won't fit my style. It does look like it cleans well.

I'm going to have to go with the sand/gravel one, I think.

It's a hot mess right now. :D

Ask a Question