Need Partial-Shade Plant Recommendations

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Planning a new pond this spring in a spot that's probably 60% shade. The sunlight it gets is morning and evening, and a little dappled in the daytime. To give you an idea, hostas are delightfully happy in my yard, while day lilies survive begrudgingly with one or two blooms only. In 10 more years, the sun will be even less. I had a pickerel rush in my very small pond that didn't bloom last summer at all, though I'm going to give it another shot.

I'm new to ponds and am looking for aquatic plants that will be happy in part shade. Surface plants are what I'm looking for. After the great anacharis disaster of 2009 in my 55-gallon aquarium, I haven't the stomach for anything submerged.

Thanks,
Laura

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome Laura! Hosta's are wonderful planted bare root directly in moving water. They would be a good option for streams or waterfalls and you could probably take starts off of some you already have.

Watercress just like hosta's like bare root in moving water in the shade. Just tuck their roots down in some rocks. You can buy them at the grocery store in the produce section with roots :)

Impatients, while an annual, love being planted directly in the water and love the shade. They provide for some great color.

Creeping Jenny can also be planted directly in the water and doesn't mind the shade.

Sweet flag grass does well in the water and takes shade well. I have some planted in full shade bare root in my filters.

Iris's can probably handle the shade as well and can be planted bare root in water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Partial shade is an asset in a hot summer, not quite so easy if it is a dull wet one.

Surface plants, as in they cover the surface of the water, foliage at or just above the water level and don't particularly require potting, water lettuce, salvinia, azolla, frogbit, parrots feather, water fringe, pennywort combine picturesque and easy to control on an ornamental pond

What went wrong with the anacharis? fess up.

Regards, andy
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/media/albums/adavisus.438/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Thanks folks. I'll keep those suggestions in mind. I have tons and tons of hosta waiting to be divided, and there's creeping jenny and salvia in my mom's yard that I can yoink,

Andy (that's my kid's name :), I wasn't a terribly experienced aquarist and put anacharis in a tank where a) the light was too strong and b) the angelfish munched it until it became like coleslaw floating around, and it formed a revolting mulm on the tank bottom and in the filter and it took me the better part of a year to get rid of it no matter how I tried. Obviously I was new to angels too. :)

Ask a Question