Need pump and filtration help please

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, all. I'm new to the forum and really need some input on my koi pond. I installed the pond last year and have had nothing but problems. My koi do fantastic, but my water, pump, and filtration are driving me insane. What type of pump and filtration do you recommend? I am currently using a swimming pool pump to draw the water and run it through my filtration. I have a milk crate wrapped in netting that the hose goes into under the water. It then runs through the small filtration basket, and out into my filtration bin. Then the water goes back into the pond relatively clear. I am also using Aquascape granular algaecide, which has helped tremendously. Over the course of this ponds life (16 months!), I have used a large sump pump to draw water, and 2 pool pumps. They have all burned up. I just read someones post saying they have had their pump for 25 years! Plead help me keep my sanity and point my in the right direction.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Screenshot_2015-09-19-19-52-34.png

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you live near addy .I use laguna pumps and they save energy .Right now have a 2400 gph and a 2900 gph and love them and built my own filters using lava rock and small tuff stuff stock tanks from tractor supply .2 pumps are better than one since no worries if one goes out and right now wattage use on both add up to 120 watts .I used tank adapters and drilled holes in the stock tanks and put those through the hole .how deep and how large is your pond and how many fish .I use a smaller pump for my u.v.'s which i got on ebay and use a laguna aerator

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, Sissy! My pond is 22×11. It has a shallow end and gets about 4 ft deep. Approximately 2500/3000 gal. I will look into the laguna pumps. I just need something that works and will last. I want to be able just clean filters. o_O

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Right now is the best time to buy I got mine off ebay from weebs and country fish girl with a 4 year warranty .My pond is slightly bigger at 10 x27 and all just over 4 ft deep

Attachments

• pond sept 2015 017.JPG
    pond sept 2015 017.JPG
    234.9 KB · Views: 237
  • pond sept 2015 008.JPG
    pond sept 2015 008.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 260
  • all around 7-15 049.JPG
    all around 7-15 049.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 267
  • all around 7-15 048.JPG
    all around 7-15 048.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 238
Reaction score
Country
United States
Right now is the best time to buy I got mine off ebay from weebs and country fish girl with a 4 year warranty .My pond is slightly bigger at 10 x27 and all just over 4 ft deep

I see you use the milk crates too! I know my thinking isn't too crazy now! Lol Between having full afternoon and evening sun, and not figuring out a permanent, reliable pump and filtration system this pond is wearing my patience. I will be so happy to get it all figured out.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, all. I'm new to the forum and really need some input on my koi pond. I installed the pond last year and have had nothing but problems. My koi do fantastic, but my water, pump, and filtration are driving me insane. What type of pump and filtration do you recommend? I am currently using a swimming pool pump to draw the water and run it through my filtration. I have a milk crate wrapped in netting that the hose goes into under the water. It then runs through the small filtration basket, and out into my filtration bin. Then the water goes back into the pond relatively clear. I am also using Aquascape granular algaecide, which has helped tremendously. Over the course of this ponds life (16 months!), I have used a large sump pump to draw water, and 2 pool pumps. They have all burned up. I just read someones post saying they have had their pump for 25 years! Plead help me keep my sanity and point my in the right direction.
Chrissy, I responded in your other post and I listed a bunch of questions for you to answer. If you could answer those for us (even though some may be answered in this post......), it would be helpful.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sump pumps, pool pumps are not made for pond use. I have sequence, exterior (right now just stored on a shelf) , a few small laguna's that I use in my deck pond, 350 gph, submersible.
My main pump is a lim dragon pump, 6800 gph, pricey, bought it years ago for my arizona pond. Exterior. All low electrical usage, all reliable.

My pond is full sun, but filtered with a big bog, which you do not have room for.

Get a laguna or sequence pond pump, rated gph for the size of your pond, this will start you on fixing your pond issues. You can build your own filter, look at the diy section. With koi you need to have great filtration, goldfish are more forgiving. Or purchase a filter.

Decide on exterior pump or submersible, I like external, always have, others like submersible.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think most of us are lazy addy and like the sub. pumps when it comes to having to bring them in come winter .But external do have there advantages when it comes to there leaf basket clean out .It is like having a pump and skimmer all in one .Chrissy I* have used crates in my filters for 11 years and love them .I buy the blue furnace filters and quilt batting and lava rock for them .Quilt batting to pick up fine stuff in the pond .Cheap and easy to rinse off .My bert and aggie .My one filter inside a liner was just a crate but the banana plant got out of control on me and the other filter is a stock tank with a crate on top of it .May be weird but it works .Plus I have one pump that goes to each filter and there is a splitter on the hose from each pump with hose and a ball valve and one is tied under my bridge to spray water over the top of the pond and one is under water to move most stuff on the bottom to the pumps and then to the filters ,plus it helps aerate the water .I use sump pump hose clamps and pvc pipe parts to make the splitters .It may be a strange set up but i don't get algae and I was expecting it this year since I rebuilt my pond last year

Attachments

• 7-19-15 pond and stock tanks 014.JPG
    7-19-15 pond and stock tanks 014.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 293
  • 7-19-15 pond and stock tanks 015.JPG
    7-19-15 pond and stock tanks 015.JPG
    194 KB · Views: 291
  • pond second lily flower 7-31-15 016.JPG
    pond second lily flower 7-31-15 016.JPG
    242.7 KB · Views: 264
  • pond leak or  plants 028.JPG
    pond leak or plants 028.JPG