Need Recommendation for Pump To Be Used for Cleaning

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

When I clean out the pond I use my regular oase pond pump to get all the water out of the pond. The problem is, is that there are about 2 inches of water left at the bottom that the oase can't get out.

This last 2" of water is filled with debris / decayed matter. I was using a little flotec pump from Home Depot to empty most of the last 2" of water out, but it gets clogged very easily. So I end up on my hands and knees in 2" of muck with a bucket and a cup.

Please somebody recommend a pump that can get the last few inches out and not get clogged with gunk. All the gunk is in the last 2".

Thank You!!

Reaction score
truly no pump will really get up something that has a lot of muck in only 2" of water--even solids handling pump. Your best bet is to get a net and bucket to scoop up the last two inches. Or you could even use a wet/dry vac.

Reaction score
Would a wet/dry vac work if there were little stones or clumps of debris or whatever? Would it break the motor or clog it? thanks! The problem is that the bottom of the pond is flat, not sloped, so the water doesn't drain to a low spot. Thanks!

Also, does anyone else use a wet/dry vac to clean the last few inches of water/muck ?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Wet dry vac is the way to go. I had a small pool under my waterfall filled with plants and every spring I had to clean out 6-8" of muck and debris. The vac will pick up everything including small stones.

Reaction score
a wet/dry vac would handle little pebbles and things, yes. It's what it is made for. If you go this route, the only pain in the neck will be that you will need to empty the vac each time it fills to the top.

That's why folks use pond vacuums, as they just keep going and they self-empty. They are pricey tho.

Ask a Question