water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a problem.

Two years ago a land turtle drowned in our preform, I even tried cpr.......... compressions not breath.......

Just now I found one dead in the shubunkin tank, one hanging onto some lilies in the preform.

What do I need to do to keep them out of the water. It hurts me to see them hurt from my pond. Of if they fall in what can I build to help them get out. The shubbie tank is 2.5 feet deep, the preform.......probably 18 inches or so.

DSC05915.JPG

DSC05916.JPG

This was the one I saved.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Lay a short board on the edge, with the other end floating on the water. I've used this set-up for toads, and it should work for turtles. Just don't use pressure-treated wood!
John

Reaction score
Turtles love the water when it gets hot, a swim helps cool them off. They also like to eat little fish but I have not had a problem with that at school. We do have a ramp of sorts, just rock piled in a way the turtles can crawl in and out. I raised the sides of the pond so there is one way in and out. This has seemed to work. One of the turtles, Michael Angelo, loves sitting under water and swimming in the pond. The other two Leonardo De Vinci and Mona Lisa don't care for the pond. We hope Mona will lay eggs this year, it is her first spring in the courtyard. Names such as David, Picasso, Venus De Milo, Whistler and Rembrandt are a few that have already been picked out for the babies.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well,the ramps sound like a good idea, but would almost need them around entire perimeter. Ramps that end with a flat spot would probably satisfy them. Boxies only need a few inches of water to soak. Could make a barrier with rocks (or cute fencing) to keep them out, but they ARE good climbers so there's still the danger they would climb over (or dig under). But if you are able to come up with a solution, consider making a shallow "pond" area just for the wild turts.

Boxies are handicapped when they're in deep water, as they don't have the ability to flip over & right themselves (thus, the sailing phrase, being turtled). They need something solid to push off and use their heads to right themselves. If they are falling right into deep water, and they flip, they're pretty much helpless.

Sure, sure, sure wish I could help :( ! As you know, I worked really hard to make my pond "turtle-safe," but I already had an established habitat and needed to modify the pond to suit them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have 27 feet by 5 feet of shallow bog water for them to soak in and be comfy. We have had so much rain there is water everywhere to keep them wet. And it has been cool here this spring. That is why I can't figure out why they ended up in the ponds.

All the preforms are too deep for them to just fall in and not flip wrong, not be able to get out. Guess I need to do a small chicken wire around each pond. The wide hole chicken wire so the frogs can get out and birds can drink.
The big pond, they are on their own, enough trouble netting it for the herons.
I have 4 ponds that will need turtle protection.

How high of a rock barrier?, I made one around the pond the one was hanging onto the lily, and it still got in. Guess it needs to be higher or wire.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Nova said:
Turtles love the water when it gets hot, a swim helps cool them off. They also like to eat little fish but I have not had a problem with that at school. We do have a ramp of sorts, just rock piled in a way the turtles can crawl in and out. I raised the sides of the pond so there is one way in and out. This has seemed to work. One of the turtles, Michael Angelo, loves sitting under water and swimming in the pond. The other two Leonardo De Vinci and Mona Lisa don't care for the pond. We hope Mona will lay eggs this year, it is her first spring in the courtyard. Names such as David, Picasso, Venus De Milo, Whistler and Rembrandt are a few that have already been picked out for the babies.
I thought we were shooting for ninja turtle names until you got to Mona Lisa. I mean they ARE turtles!

Ask a Question