Need serious help any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hey all, I built my first pond around this time last year. You all very helpful and it turned out great. I have only one ongoing problem. I live In Dallas, TX and it is extremly hot here. I am fighting a never ending battle with algae and green water during the summer. My pond is approx 5,000 gallons. I have 2 - 3,000 gallon per hour pumps feeding into 3,000 gallon per hour filters and through 2 waterfalls that also does a little filtering. The only thing I can do is massive water changes to keep the water clear but after about 4 - 5 days, algae is everywhere. I have tried draining it completly, cleaning it and filling it back up. I use the microlift PL bacteria. I do have crawfish in the pond as well as koi, goldfish, blue gill, bass and catfish. alot of the algaecidies say I cannot use them with crawfish. Before I had crawfish, I tried using one but it killed all my fish. Trying to stay away from any kind of chemicals. I also use the barley and peat extract and have a uv bulb too. I think i have tried to cover everything. Does anyone have any other idea what I can do to hold back the algae? I have even put 4 umbrellas around the pond to try and knock out the sun light. I have about 10 plants in the bog. I dont think I have left anything out. Any ideas besides the massive water changes? thanks!

Reaction score
I live in North Carolina, also in extreme heat--and a UV is pretty much mandatory to keep green water away. You have the same pond size pond as I do, and I suggest you look at the Emperor 40watt one. Aqua UV is also good, but Emperor has a bit of a better reputation.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Get some water lettuce and a good bio filter. Do not use chemicals, it is like throwing your money into the grand canyon.

My water is crystal clear and has been since building my "Doc Bio Filter" there are other designs out there that work as well.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Get some water lettuce and a good bio filter. Do not use chemicals, it is like throwing your money into the grand canyon.

My water is crystal clear and has been since building my "Doc Bio Filter" there are other designs out there that work as well.

Unfortunatley I can not obtain water lettuce here in Texas. For some reason it is illegal to ship here and none of the stores will sell it.

Yea I agree, after the algaecide killed my fish, I'm never using chemicals again.

Will check out the Doc Bio Filter. thanks.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
I live in North Carolina, also in extreme heat--and a UV is pretty much mandatory to keep green water away. You have the same pond size pond as I do, and I suggest you look at the Emperor 40watt one. Aqua UV is also good, but Emperor has a bit of a better reputation.

I have a UV bulb in each of my filters. But I guess it isnt getting the job done. I'll check out the Emperor. thanks!

Reaction score
Did you change the bulb this spring? UV bulbs need to be changed each spring if they are used often. It also may not be high enough wattage to do the job. Do you have some kinda pressure filter with a UV in it? If so, that won't cut it on a 5000g pond in heat. Go to our DIY section and check out our DIY filters. A good 150g stock tank filter would be advised.

Reaction score
Hi Kevin,

I'm not near as qualified as some of these wonderful folks here. I have a Laguna 55 watt uv that cleared up a real mess in just a couple of days earlier this season. Now my biological is established and I'm enjoying crystal clear water. the sun is intense here in Tennessee like it is Texas and I have installed a Coolaroo sun shade and I'm confident that that will also keep the water temps lower than they would be otherwise.

Reaction score
Is there anyway you could split your water flow in your plumbing at any point to get a slower flow through a UV filter chamber?

If you can try to get a Phosphate test and check the level.

What is your Nitrate level?

I'm not suggesting you are doing this, but just mentioning it. Don't overfeed and use fish food with lower Phosphorus %.

Sometimes phosphates come directly from your tap water. You can safely remove them with a "chemical" media in your filtration. A product called Phosguard can remove phosphate, silicates and some other organics from the water. It is just little white beads of aluminum oxide, not a liquid chemical. It does not release anything into the water, just pulls out what you want it to, unless you have really acidic water, like below 5.5pH. Anyone I have talked to from TX never had an issue with acidic water, usually just the opposite. They make pond size Phosguard, for your size pond it may be a little expensive, the stuff ain't cheap, so test the water for phosphate level before you even think of trying it. It also helps with "brown algae" because it removes silicates which the "brown algae" feeds on.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Did you change the bulb this spring? UV bulbs need to be changed each spring if they are used often. It also may not be high enough wattage to do the job. Do you have some kinda pressure filter with a UV in it? If so, that won't cut it on a 5000g pond in heat. Go to our DIY section and check out our DIY filters. A good 150g stock tank filter would be advised.

No I havent chaged the bulb, and yes the bulb is inside a pressurized filter. I didnt think about changing the bulb, since i can still see the uv light coming out the top of the filter. but yea it is a small bulb for the size of pond I have. I run it, 24/7/365. Thanks!

PS3

Reaction score
even though u can see the light the uv lose's its power for some reason.
the pressurized filter u have is not cuting it. i built a skippy filter out of a 55 gallon drum and it works awesome. i have 2 pumps in my pond one going to the skippy
and the other one going to the uv light

Reaction score
stroppy said:
are there any other floating plants you could use to help with shade ?

I have a few flothing plants in those luguna stryofoam floaters and some lilly pads. dont want to put too much more of those in or it will be hard to see the fish. some of them like to hide underneath the lillys and only come out when I throw some feeder fish in or pellets. Hard to find to some actual floating plants in my area. I guess that out law them here becasue they spread so quickly. not sure.

Reaction score
PS3 is 100% correct. From the minute you plug that UV in, it starts to degrade. It sounds to me you are due for a new bulb. Just because you see the tell-tale purply light doesn't mean that your UV has enough strength to pull off the job anymore. Go to Ebay and get yourself a new one.

Yes, many states have laws against some floating plants (like parrot feather, for example), because they spread and can ruin ecosystems.

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Water lettuce can be extremely invasive if left to run wild. That is probably why you cant get it.
I finally beat the green water this year with a duel barrel filter and screen coverings over the pond that stay on untill I want to enjoy my fish, The frames are easy to move and so far no green water yet since it cleared back in feb. I added a fines filter as well and it really cleared things up.
Agreed on avoiding the chemicals.

Ask a Question