Need some advice on a leak

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello fine pond loving folks. I have an issue that needs a solution and I am looking for some advise on sealant material.
In the crude picture below you can see the edge of the upper basin of my pond water feature. It is basically a concrete pan with a granite top plate that overhangs the inside edge of the pan. The concrete is coated with Pond Armor (red line) and I attempted to coat the joint between the granite and the concrete (green) as well but due to the fact that the distance represented by the blue line is about an inch and a half, it was very difficult to see and get it coated well. After about a year of use it is now leaking through this area very lightly but enough to keep the exterior of the wall wet and is starting to grow algae which is not desirable. It is also too shallow to allow access by means of a caulk gun. So I am looking for something to seal the area marked in green that will last being outdoors and being in contact with non-pressurized water basically all the time.

My first thought was to get something like a plummer's putty and roll it up into like a snake and cram it up in there...but some things I am reading make me think that wont really work.

Anyone have any ideas?
1592086691589.png

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Would a small squeeze tube of caulk work? I think the engineering issue is that the pressure will be on the backside of whatever sealant you are using. Is there anyway to jack up the slab to get the sealant on top of the wall?

Reaction score
Country
United States
no...nothing is moving. It is all solid and essentially one piece at this point.
I don't think there will be pressure on the backside.
What type of sealant are you thinking?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Get yourself some goop, marine goop, it will work great and last forever. I was fighting a small pipe leak in one of my ponds, my fav stuff pl roofing goop was not working, a bit dirty, a bit damp, no matter how much I cleaned it (could not drain the pond) So used some of the sealant I bought for the boat, done fixed no dripping .

Messy to use, a sqeeze tube, wear gloves, but it works great. I put it on my finger and got it to where I needed it that way. Under the tube right above the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Get yourself some goop, marine goop, it will work great and last forever. I was fighting a small pipe leak in one of my ponds, my fav stuff pl roofing goop was not working, a bit dirty, a bit damp, no matter how much I cleaned it (could not drain the pond) So used some of the sealant I bought for the boat, done fixed no dripping .

Messy to use, a sqeeze tube, wear gloves, but it works great. I put it on my finger and got it to where I needed it that way. Under the tube right above the water.
@addy1 Thank you, I will look it up.

OK two things I see...The instructions say to put on both surfaces and mate together with pressure. This will be an open air application to fill in a corner like a caulk bead. Do you think it will still adhere and dry properly in your experience?

Also it warns to not have it come in contact with drinking water or animals. You think it will be safe being in contact with the water eventually getting into the pond with fish?

Last edited:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just put it on one side of the pond, the input side, was fighting a tiny leak since we put the new pipe in.
Put a good layer of the stuff, around the pipe. It has been in my pond system for about two weeks now , no issues. All fish alive and well. I let it harden until it felt like a rock before I let the water flow again. This was my lotus tub, outflow to the big pond.

It is made to bond things together but also works as a great sealant. They have a tube of it also, but that is hard to turn to get where you need.

I sometimes think they have a ton of disclaimers so they can not be sued.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 You are so right about the “suit” issue, but I have to laugh at some of the disclaimer statements — you know that someone, somewhere had to have done that very thing, LOL, and then there are the ones that are poor translations from non-English speaking countries such as “remove child before washing.” I know we all have seen some doozies!

Even the PL goop says not to use in the very conditions that we all use it for (sorry, that’s not a well-phrased sentence). I have yet to read or hear anything negative.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even the PL goop says not to use in the very conditions that we all use it for (sorry, that’s not a well-phrased sentence). I have yet to read or hear anything negative.
I have used the stuff for 9ish years no issues. And it does say not to do what we do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good to know. Thanks for the responses all. I have ordered some and will see if I can make it work for this application. will still be very tough to get to. Hope the fish don't mind the lack of filtration and water movement for 2 days.

:sorry:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good to know. Thanks for the responses all. I have ordered some and will see if I can make it work for this application. will still be very tough to get to. Hope the fish don't mind the lack of filtration and water movement for 2 days.

:sorry:
I drained my pond down a bit, it has a few fish in it, eggs floated in, cleaned as best I could with a few rags, dried best I could and blindly gooped the bottom of the pipe, since then leak gone. I did let it dry for two days just cause I did not want to do it again.
The fish will be fine.

Ask a Question