Need some advices for pond project , 60.000 liters -attached files

Reaction score
hi there-- I need some advice here,
I´m planning to make a pond in my backyard so i start to think and design and collect info about plans and things I will need, like the liner and pump, skimmers an so on..

So I just attached some pics of my intention to do, so I´m a bit confused with a few things...

Just want to know some opinions about this configuration, maybe looks crazy,
I just become with this idea but I don´t a have any idea about pumps or water flows, pipe sizes pressures...just read some about

so I did my designs in 3D, is quite easy to build such a big thing and then realize that you can not be capable to make it.. I know is a lot of work----but is not impossible,
so my goal is this... maybe in real place it will look different but the basic idea is the following:

a pond of 60 or 70000 liters, with 2 pumps, 1 skimmer, filter waterfall 2 m high, or waterfall + filter uv.. I´m not sure about this last one I will need a waterfall filter + uv filter, or with a waterfall filter is enough.....

and another question come to my mind is can I have one pump with the half of volume per hour connected to drain in the deepest zone in the pool, and another connected to the skimmer "same pump model", is this a parallel configuration?

I already know if i run 2 pumps in parallel , I can have double peak flow . i don´t want to put a big pump because I think is a high power consume, i become with the idea to use two instead of one, one for the bottom of the pond and another for the skimmer. I guess they will need less power than a big one, ....and if is capable to take the water to 2 meters high Is ok, but not sure...I cannot add the 2 heights of pump´s performance, but in paralell pump config I can get double flow, not same high. I think just 0.5 more...

so is this a crazy config? and If so, what I should change this to make it work?

I just want to have a pond to swim and maybe for fishes as well, is this is possible, what do you think?, any help will be great!

thanks guys!
Henry

Attachments

• pond.jpg
    pond.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 254
  • pond3d.jpg
    pond3d.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 268
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Awesome looking design! Your diagrams of your ponds are FAR better than mine. I make mine in Microsoft Paint! lol

I'd worry about chemicals from your skin (deodorant, perfume, etc.) in the pond water if you're going to do swimming plus fish...

Reaction score
Awesome looking design! Your diagrams of your ponds are FAR better than mine. I make mine in Microsoft Paint! lol

I'd worry about chemicals from your skin (deodorant, perfume, etc.) in the pond water if you're going to do swimming plus fish...
thanks Max, do it in microsoft paint or in 3d have pretty differences sure :) but in our minds is all in 3d. isn´t it. :)

I don´t even thought about deodorants... I guess a shower before bath will be ok... I´m not sure to put fishes in it, I´m aware that is very different filtering for bath or justto have a koi pond... I will like to swim in it, more than look to fishes but if can have both things better...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Wish I could help you, don't really have answers to your ??'s

Reaction score
Thanks addy1.. well, I don´t know if don´t have answers--- maybe just is weekend.maybe too lazy ... right now I´m thinking to building a natural pool , and use salt in water... maybe little pump , but not all those pipes engineering and super pumps :) so right now I am here,

Attachments

• image0023.jpg
    image0023.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 299

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
I like what you have drawn, I recall reading about someone building a naturally filtered pool/pond, a few years back, just can't remember all that was involved. What you have drawn would work, but to have the plants, you would need to skip the salt

take a look here

http://www.swimnatural.com/home.html

http://bionovanaturalpools.com/
http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/green-living/natural-swimming-pools#slide-1
thanks for all this links, addy. are very useful .. ,, I really hope this setup will work. I saw on different videos how to build this. and first impression always is to see nobody are putting pipes on bottom of the pool, or big configs.... that impressed me , so looks pretty easy cheap and natural...

I hope nature and a little care is all you have to do, maybe water is not crystal clear. but I don´t mind this ...while I can swim.

The only thing I´m not sure.. is the different types forms to make the water flow to swimming area, in my sketches I connected the shallow areas with swimming area by a pipes, directly to swim area. I even saw this elbow pipes when are submerged start to bubbling like aereator effect... sending lots of bubbles to swimming area.. so can have a natural aereator :),, I will try this.

but I saw in a few links there are people put a pump to suction all the water in the bottom of shallow areas and make it return to the pool by a long pipe. .. as the first link you attached here. others only put a straight pipe, no elbow.direct to swimming area-- well.. I´ll see

btw if I skip salt, because plants can not be skipped, I will need some kind of water sanitizer...Biotop who claims as they are the pioneers of naturals pools in Europe are using a biofilm as a first layer of sand filter to kill any bacteria of water...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Welcome, sounds like you have some great ideas and will look forward to seeing the process.
Hey.. thanks RobAmy , but is not my own idea... I found a video explain this... so just copy the system and adapt to my design.. will see what happen :)

Ask a Question