Need some advise on how to build my pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I need some advise on how to build this pond.

Background: The previous owner of my house had a spa pool and they filled it before they sold the house, probably 10 years ago. I am trying to re-open the spa area and make a pond with EPDM liners.

As you can see from the picture, the area is already defined by concrete/tiles/stones. I am trying not to touch or rebuild any of those since I am not that handy. My plan is to use aluminum termination bars on the top of the tile (below the stones at the edge) and fasten the termination bar with anchor pins or screws (still trying to find out which screws can work on concrete), like how they do in roof business (2nd picture). The spa pool is about 3 feet deep. My question is if this will work? Do I need to glue the liners to the concrete? Will the liners strong enough to be held by screws with aluminum bars for a 3 feet deep pond?

Thanks!

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 9.28.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-07-06 at 9.28.01 PM.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 111
  • 13092.jpg
    13092.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 136

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome!

Not something I have ever done. Are you sure the spa actually leaks and needs a liner? Has your excavation crew reached bottom yet?:)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply! I put some water there and the water disappear overnight. I guess it leaks. They probably put demoed holes in the bottom for drainage when filled it so the structure itself cannot be used.

Probably I should just go with the traditional way - buy a bigger EPDM rubber liner and cover the edge with the liners and put garden stones to hide them. It might look uglier but it will save me a lot of troubles and easier to replace if there are any leaks...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
as shown in the second photo a termination strip with a quality caulking like pl s30 and Tapcons . they are concrete screws that any cordless hammer drill or drill can install. though the hammer drill will do so much faster. I would buy the philps head screw type because the fish product won't be as ugly as a bolt head tap con. but to be honest with you I'd myself would pop the stones from there mortar bed chip off the old clean and refuse the stone after you bring the liner up and under the stones but thats me so long as the termination stripp is above the water line it will work fine just a little unsightly
Last thought do not pull the liner tight you want to allow for stretching expanssion etc leave a bit folded up at the bottom .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
as shown in the second photo a termination strip with a quality caulking like pl s30 and Tapcons . they are concrete screws that any cordless hammer drill or drill can install. though the hammer drill will do so much faster. I would buy the philps head screw type because the fish product won't be as ugly as a bolt head tap con. but to be honest with you I'd myself would pop the stones from there mortar bed chip off the old clean and refuse the stone after you bring the liner up and under the stones but thats me so long as the termination stripp is above the water line it will work fine just a little unsightly
Last thought do not pull the liner tight you want to allow for stretching expanssion etc leave a bit folded up at the bottom .

Thanks for the advice... as my 1st pond I am planning to put some garden stones on top of the current edges, instead of rework the stones that's already built. If this does not work i can easily fill the area and go back.

Ask a Question