Need suggestions for a quality pump replacement

Reaction score
Hi. We built a 20' x 10' x 2.5' pond about 6 years ago. It had a skimmer with a hose that went to the middle of the pond to suck in sediment that never seemed to work. There was also a bio-filter that seemed to always get clogged and overflow. In 2008, when the pump died, my son re-engineered the system, installing a Little Giant K5000 pump and a NitraMAX 1000 filter. The pump died last night, just short of 2 years old. Seems like we're replacing the pump every year and a half :( I'd like to do better.

I guess the pond is around 12K gallons, with about 50' from the skimmer to the NitraMAX. I'd guess about 5' of head, maybe 6. I believe the tubing is 2" but may only be 1.5", I didn't dig anything up. Post filter, I have a mermaid fountain, and a "creek" that spills over rocks back into the pond.

I'd really appreciate suggestions on upgrading the pump. I'm fine with going to external and have electricity available near the NitraMAX. I guess I need at least 5000 GPH at 5' head. If we go external, I'd need advice on what accessories are needed. I assume a check valve, but I have no idea how to collect debris before the filter. The K5000 ground the debris up. I'd like the pump to use reasonably low wattage and be quiet. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Here's some pictures

Attachments

• AlfFishing.JPG
    AlfFishing.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 391
  • DSC01317.JPG
    DSC01317.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 395
  • DSC01320.JPG
    DSC01320.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 378
  • P1020340.jpg
    P1020340.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 413
  • P1020344.jpg
    P1020344.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 366
Reaction score
Love your pond, love the terrier! Little Giant equipment is absolute crap and I'm not surprised it died after a short period. If you're inclined to go with an external--which is a smart move with a pond that size, take a look at Sequence pumps. They are total workhorses.

Send a PM to DoDaddy here, as he sells pond equipment and can hopefull get you a good price on something that's right for a 12k pond.

Reaction score
Thanks. His name is Alf. He claimed that rock early on. He walks out there with a toy and drops it in the water, watching where it goes. The fish seem to care less :(

We learned our lesson with Little Giant, that's why I went looking for this forum.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the math says your ponds maximum volume is 3740 gallons,with your measurements. thats a rectangular 10' wide by 20' long pond straight, down walls 2.5 feet deep, and a flat bottom... so your rounded pond is likely less than that if your measurments are close. if this is the case i would suggest a Laguna submersable pump.. they are known for quality and performance and electrical savings. L X W X DEPTH X 7.48 = POND VOLUME. these calculations are done with measurements that are figured in averages for ponds with different levels of depth.

Reaction score
Thanks. I had used a calculator on another site and thought that number was high. Never tried to recalculate afterwards..... I guess I still want a larger pump as I'd rather increase the flow of water down the "stream" and not decrease it.

Stroppy, He's only fallen in once in 6 years, and that time I think my son gave him an assist :(

Ask a Question