Need suggestions on pond plumbing.

Reaction score
I use a submersible pump, 1200 GPH, right now I am using 1" irrigation pipe from the pump to the skippy type bio-filter. I found a gem of a lion head that I want to plumb as a spitter, would you tee off the irrigation pump to a spitter or just use a smaller pump for it? TIA

Reaction score
Could you maybe post a picture or two? What is the lion head thing so I'm sure we are talking about the same thing. I think I could help if I understood it better.

Reaction score
Sorry can't do pictures right now as I don't have a digital camera. The lion head is a hollow planter made of terra-cotta. I drilled a hole in the mouth of the lion and was able to run tubing through the bottom of the head and through the hole I drilled for the mouth.
I just wanted to know if I should run a separate small pump to supply the water to the lion head, or if I should tee off the line that runs from my submersible pump to the bio-filter.

Reaction score
Now I got it. Personally I wouldn't want to reduce my flow to the skippy by the amount it would take to make the Lion's head flow acceptable. I suggest a seperate pump for that unless you could somehow use part of the flow coming out of the Skippy.

Reaction score
Thank you! It's really hot and humid here today so I'll set up a smaller pump late in the day to see if I can get things working. I'm in a creative mood to craft up some pond side decorations, I sure wish it would cool down here.

Ask a Question