Need suggestions on Winter indoor pond

Reaction score
I will be bringing our Koi indoors this winter so I can make major alterations to our outdoor pond.
I intend to use 4x4 landscape timbers interlocked on the corners then a 45 mil liner. I know many of you winter your Koi indoors would you please share with me your indoor pond constructions? You may have a much better idea having been there done that.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hey pondmaster, would love to help you, but I don't have fish and if I did they would stay outside. But your build sounds like it would work. Of course you would need filters etc. But I understand with a rebuild they do need to come inside for a resort vacation.

The 4x4's would be strong enough to work as a pond, and of course the liner.

I would also have air stones or something. You prob could skip the bottom drain and just vacuum it.

Well I have fish in arizona, but they never got to stay inside............lol

Reaction score
Thanks Addy1, I have to dig my pond deeper I hit hard pan after 2' if I had realized the importance of proper depth I would have used a pick ax. The indoor will be 1000 gal and I will move my pump & Laguna Filter Falls in also. It's one of those unpleasant tasks that really needs to be done.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The one and only reason we have a pond in progress is the kubota my honey bought me for our 1 year anniversary. Our land is a little soil with a lot of shale type rock. We tried to plant some 3 gallon trees and had to use the pick axe to do that 4 inches down.

I dug our new one out to around 5 feet deep at one end. The other end climbs to a shallow walk out area for any critter that falls in.

There is no way in this life time I would have or could have dug that by hand. lol

A deeper pond will make it easier to keep the fishes outside over the winter. Rent one of those diggin machines for a day and you will breeze through the hard pan, unless of course you feel the need for exercise!

Keep us updated on your rebuild, want to see pictures in progress. Unpleasant but your fish will love you!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i actually have a basement pond ...had it a few years now...2x4 and 1/2' sheathing for construction...as solid today as it was the day i built it. its 800 gals.... theres no U.V to dteriorate the liner so 20 mil pvc liner is fine....i built a 55 gal drum filter for it.. and my fish come inside every year so i swap the media between filters, with basement and outdoor ponds.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/wintering-pond-basement-10-09-09-a-t4504.html

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
koiguy1969 said:
i actually have a basement pond ...had it a few years now...2x4 and 1/2' sheathing for construction...as solid today as it was the day i built it. its 800 gals.... theres no U.V to dteriorate the liner so 20 mil pvc liner is fine....i built a 55 gal drum filter for it.. and my fish come inside every year so i swap the media between filters, with basement and outdoor ponds.
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/wintering-pond-basement-10-09-09-a-t4504.html

Nice koi vacation spot, and what clear water you have.............

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Yeah, I hit that rocky crap about 6-18" down. But, I took 6 months to dig the pond 6' deep. Well, 2 months for 6' deep, then I just kept adding more. Lot of mattock work, but the hardest was the wheelbarrow. Now that it's done, though, I can say that I was cheap and foolhardy enough to do it. Keeps me young, strong, and stupid. What more can I ask for?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hewhoisatpeace said:
Yeah, I hit that rocky crap about 6-18" down. But, I took 6 months to dig the pond 6' deep. Well, 2 months for 6' deep, then I just kept adding more. Lot of mattock work, but the hardest was the wheelbarrow. Now that it's done, though, I can say that I was cheap and foolhardy enough to do it. Keeps me young, strong, and stupid. What more can I ask for?

LOL well ............I am healthy and strong, but it wore me out just planting plants!
Tractors rule!

Reaction score
In the past when my dad had fish we had a stock tank in the basement, it had some kind of filter in it and a small fountain. It drove my mom CRAZY for some reason, I always thought it was kind of cool to have a pond in the house! Anyway what you have planned sounds like it would work!

Ask a Question