Need temporary housing due to Pond drying out (Texas)

Reaction score
Normally my 3 Koi share much Texas pond space with many fish, pond is large and fed by rain. Well it is slowly drying out. I just bought a 8' x 30" plastic swimming pool. Now, I need to figure out what to use to filter the water and to use as a pump. The last time this happened a few years back, I had one Koi and used a 100 gallon tank with bubbler and changed 1/2 water almost daily to keep the water in check.

Does anyone have filter, pump suggestions that are reasonably priced. Hopefully this equipment will only be on standby, but if needed may be used for a month or more until we have some decent Texas rain.

Big thanks for suggestions. :sad:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cheap pumps at harbor freight .For a filter you could use a tote with filter media in it .

Reaction score
I am new to this can you explain tote with filter media or point me somewhere??? How big a pump do you think I should get?
Thanks again for your respons.... :surprised:

Reaction score
I found tote filters on you tube, think that is what you mean, however, they did not mention size of pumps. I think I can easily make one of those thanks for the suggestion.

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
I found tote filters on you tube, think that is what you mean, however, they did not mention size of pumps. I think I can easily make one of those thanks for the suggestion.

I recommend you to buy this one:
Alpine Bio-Pure 1000
(Bio filter and mechanical filter are all built within the canister)
414yVGx%2BrgL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

$89.98 & free shipping!

I purchased my $188.95 Alpine Bio-Pure 3000 from here:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ilter"+"pond"+"foam"&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Employees are honest, pretty helpful, and efficient. Call them first @1.800.722.8877 and ask them for advices. You may get some reasonable pump and filter for your temporary holding pool. Good luck.

Reaction score
I am in the process of building my tub filter, and it looks good BTW!!! Now what type of pump should I connect to it. I am looking at :
Danner Supreme Mag-Drive Utility Pumps - 250 gph at Petco.

I would like to use it inline and not under the water. So far my tub has an inlet of 1" and outlet of 2". I am using a rubbermaid tub.

Thanks for pump information now!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Why not just run your garden hose into the pond at a very slow rate to add some water?

They might be on serious water restrictions, which are very well monitored for use when in place.

Reaction score
My pond is HUGE, at least an acre!!! I have to pay for my water....I now have made my filter box, my husband has agreed to place the 8' X 30 " pool in our shed so it is protected. I still have not bought a pump...don't know exactly what I need. Last time I had one Koi when the pond went dry and it was a month in a 100 gallon tank, I changed water daily so it would not become toxic to the fish. He was ready when the rains came to go back.

I wait now for the pond to get smaller, right now the fish remain under and do not come up, weather is HOT here. I would think that in a week I will have to do my rescue since no rain is predicted.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow good luck, hope that tropical storm heads yours way! Good luck

Reaction score
No rain yet so I have proceeded with my plan and am ready!!!

I will post again when I have the pump and Koi in the pool!

Ask a Question