Need to encourage algae ( non pond but fish related )

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Please relocate topics if needed.

Need to encourage algae growth in a aquarium for trapdoor snails. I know most of us pond people try to control it, I have a 40 gallon tank with 4 adults and 4 " teenagers" and 15+ new bourns. I do have algae pellets to feed but rather use them for after a tank cleaning.

My intent is to breed the snails and toss them in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
i do have a filter rated for a 10 gallon for now will replace in a day or 2. have tank in front of window. but thanks for past and future input. i do add sinker algea tablets for when i clean the tank. but i was on a 10 gallon before i upgraded to the 40 gallon

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you want food for the snails you can feed them blanched zucchini, squash, leaf lettuce, and cucumber to name a few (all things I feed my own snails)

They also like to eat the gel food I make for my goldfish.

Snails will benefit from a piece of cuttle bone in their tank as well. I just set something on top of part of it to hold it down (you can buy cuttle bones at a pet store in the bird section)

I just mention these things as it most likely will take you a while to get any amount of algae growing in your tank. That and the fact that snails don't really do all that well on algae alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
A few black mollies had algae growing in my aquarium in a week or so. Apparently they pee a lot, moreso than other species.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Put some ferts in there. Give the algae some chow. You did not mention if this tank was planted. If it is, the plants maybe chewing up all available nutrients. They are top of their food chain. Just a thought...of which I have many...and not always correct.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like you want to mass produce them. They need well aerated water and ample food. Suggest you use a fine screen over the filter intake because they hang out there for an easy meal and can get sucked in. Keep your present filter and add an air driven sponge filter rated for the 40-gallon tank. They will be all over the sponge eating away and the filter will add plenty of water movement/gas exchange. ‘Reverse engineer’ what those with snail problems do. Provide quality food as suggested above (moderate the veggies) and add carnivore, sinking pellets. Some soft algae is important too. Just get some from your pond. If you do this right, it can actually be a nice looking aquatic display as well as a breeding tank. Anubias is what I use to add decor and has resistance from being consumed by the snails. You can also put some drift wood for decoration and a base for eggs.
Stephen

Ask a Question