Need to Off load some ghost koi and goldfish.

Reaction score
Name your price the little ghost koi not for sale yet :)
I will post more pics soon of other koi & g fish

Attachments

• Tancho_no_no.jpg
    Tancho_no_no.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 589
  • Red.jpg
    Red.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 660
  • GhostKoi_0007.jpg
    GhostKoi_0007.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 1,296
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I'm curious, PondKid. Why are you calling these "ghost koi"? The first one I think would be referred to as Tancho (red spot on head on white fish). The second picture is a Kohaku (red markings on white fish), maybe Doitsu (scaleless). The picture with 2 koi look to be maybe Orenji Matsuba. They are really nice!!! You might want to give length of them, too.
Good luck rehoming them!

Reaction score
TY ,I have no idea :) I will post more pics soon, just got to find my good camera,lol my I-phone takes good pics ,but not the same quality as a camera.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
CE, the first two I don't think are koi at all, those appear to be common sarassa comets. They ghost koi are in the last pic. The reason they are called ghost koi, because they are domestic koi that at the present time really don't fit in any other catagory. That's a Petsmart- petco generic name. The true Ghost Koi is snow white with a similar marking on the face like the smaller of the two in the last pic. In the late 80's there was some work being done to try and produce a white koi with the mask markings and that's where the original ghost koi came from. Some were imported and when the US breeders started breeding them they messed the whole line up. Now days finding a true ghost koi is very rare, That is why sometimes the name ghost koi comes up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, live and learn! Thanks so much, Larkin. Pondkid, do the first two fish have barbels, whiskers? They don't show on the first fish, and they were cut off of the second fish picture.
I have seen people refer to "ghost" koi and they were always gray in color, so that's what I was going by. Did you buy these from the breeder in Mt. Vernon, PK? Maybe she has goldfish and koi in the same pond, and they are interbreeding. Not sure she would have gotten such pretty colors if they had interbred, though, like the white and red ones. Your thought on that, Larkin? I always heard that the goldfish/koi offspring looked strange.
Thanks again for enlightening us, Larkin.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just call them fish LOL .I just like pretty fish ,give me simple but pretty ,I'm happy .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just call them fish LOL .I just like pretty fish ,give me simple but pretty ,I'm happy .

lol me too Sissy, red one, white one, ..........they are all pretty to me

Reaction score
ok here is some more pics

Attachments

• IMG_0696.jpg
    IMG_0696.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_2237.jpg
    IMG_2237.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_3512.jpg
    IMG_3512.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_3596.jpg
    IMG_3596.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_6548.jpg
    IMG_6548.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_9276.jpg
    IMG_9276.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 398
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
PK, I'd be possibly interested in your red and white fantail! Wow, your Sarassa goldfish are so vibrant in their red coloration. If I drove there for the fantail, I would also be interested in the Shubunkin in the 4th pic as well. What do you put in your pond (or feed your fish maybe) that makes them so dark red, or were they that color when you bought them? I know that big koi breeders have clay bottom ponds or some type of base that helps with the color vibrancy. Did you get these from the lady in Mt. Vernon you mentioned? Anyhow, now I'm wondering how many of the red and whites you have that are long finned that you will be getting rid of. PM me with what you are wanting for the fantail and then other Sarassa comets. Thanks! Oh, BTW, I'm about 90 minutes from St. Louis. I have a kiddie pool in the basement with small koi awaiting to go into the pond this spring when the water warms up, so they could go with them, or in my aquarium, which is not heated (but my house is LOL).

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Patti, You can still get good coloration when the two interbreed. The offspring will be infertile in most cases. All those above all are goldfish. I too like the fantail, the shubunkin and the last one. Nice Sarrasa's!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Larkin are you talking about getting good coloration when interbreeding the fantail with comets, or his bright red comets and my goldfish? Sorry, maybe I missed something here. :)
Also, why would the offspring be infertile, or again, are you talking about fantail and comets breeding?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
CE I have some bright reds that have come out of my pond mix, Reds with whites, really pretty. I don't feed them anything special.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Patti, you had ask about breeding Koi and comets earlier thats I was responding to. Fantails and comets will interbreed just fine. Your likely to get some great coloration but your just as likely to get all brown as well. Koi and comets are totally different species. Hybrid interbreeding is where the infertile offspring are produced. I don't really know why. The deep red in the comets he has is pretty much from the genetics that have been passed down. Comets unlike Koi carry a stronger gene pool for the deep red coloration and the snow white. It's the patterns that can vary very much on comets and fantails where on Koi patterens are stronger and the colors sometimes need specific needs to enhance a certain color to produce better.

Ask a Question