Need your help in choosing a pond filter system for my back yard pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, new to this site so if i may sound a little ridiculous in some of my questions is because i'm a newbie to forums. I live in brooklyn N.Y. and have approx. 1000 gallon pond in the yard. I dug out the hole and laid in the rubber matting to form the pond. I've had it for almost 15 years so some of my koi are massive, some over 30 inches if in fact that is massive to some of you. My problem is i have been using this old tub filter with a pump that pumps the water into the filter over some mess pads that collect the dirt and debris. I'm exhausted from unclogging the pumps head which leaves me at many times with no filter working at all and if i don't catch it right away that day the water starts to turn green. I have a UV light but since the water isn't going through the system its useless. I NEED A GREAT FILTER SYSTEM. I don't want to start with bottom drains or taking the pond apart. Is there a system that i can just hook up to the pond the way the pond stands right now. Something thats outside the pond but draws the water out into it and i can clean the filter very easily. Instead of taking the whole tub apart and washing out the filter pads. Its so time consuming and starting to become not fun anymore. Money really isn't an issue but i don't want to spend thousands on a filter system. All of my fish were purchased from a company in japan, shipped to Hawaii then to kennedy airport where fed ex or what ever carrier they use deliver the box to my door step. All of this takes no more than 60 hours from start to finish. Waiting for your help in brooklyn.............thank you in advance

Reaction score
welcome!! I don’t have much experience but a pressure filter with back flush feature sounds like it might be easier for you.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! Please post some pictures of your pond and koi! We love to see pics of others’ ponds!

You might want to consider a bog-style filter (AKA, eco-filter), using plants to keep the water clean. Most on here have taken this route, and not only are bogs beautiful, but they are almost hassle-free.

Wow, 15 years, 30” koi in a 1000 gallon pond….? The filter system you have must be doing a wonderful job!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I got rid of my two pressure filters and UV light after I added the bog last year.
It's the best thing I've done for my pond.

No cleaning of filter pads. Pretty much zero maintenance.

Do this and you will be able to sit back and relax while enjoying crystal clear water.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1625500854957.gif
@Blue Knight
If I had it to do over I would choose the bog filter!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Go with a bog, up flow gravel plant filter, you won't regret it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll join the littany of folks that'll be proposing bog filtration (upflow wetland filter, actually) to solve ALL your problems. Even as I read your title, the one thought that sprang to the fore was; 'I wonder how many peeps are going to use the word 'bog' in their response???? Your post is just MADE for this! So, okay, get to it; start the research here and we'll welcome you into the BFC! @poconojoe is our president elect while @addy1 is our chairperson emeritus... :p

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@brokensword don’t forget your title as master of title/acronyms, will throw in master of fish brothels as well, since yours is enclosed….:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll jump on the bog bandwagon myself, but will also ask: How MANY koi are in this 1000 gallon pond??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
An other vote for the bog . but you'll need to run your old filter for a while,. like a year before you cut away from it and go with the bog as you know the bigger older fish are more apt to react badly to poor water conditions. would love to see your setup

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
When I added my bog in May of last year, I immediately disconnected and sold my two pressure filters and UV light.
My water was solid green before adding the bog.
The only time I could see my fish was when they came up to the surface to eat.

Literally within a weeks time (running only the bog) my water was crystal clear. It stayed crystal clear all the way through the rest of the spring, summer, winter and into the beginning of this spring. Then it got green for a month or so. Now it's back to crystal clear.

I am definately overstocked with fish. They just keep multiplying!
Pond is about 1600-1800 gallons and the bog is 14 feet by 5 feet and 12 inches of gravel.

Reaction score
Country
United States
WOW..............I AM TAKEN BACK WITH ALL THE REPLIES. SO I GUESS I'M GOING TO RESEARCH THE BOG FILTRATION SYSTEM. DON'T KNOW IF I HAVE THE SPACE BUT I WILL DEF. LOOK INTO HOW AND IF IT WILL FIT INTO MY GARDEN. DON'T MIND THE CAPS AS I'M TOO LAZY TO PUT THEM ON AND OFF. LIVING IN BROOKLYN YOU CAN IMAGINE THE SPACE I HAVE TO DEAL WITH, NOT EXACTLY A HUGE PIECE OF LAND HERE.
THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR IMPUTS, BOG, BOG AND BOG...........LOL. TIME TO GET THE SHOVEL OUT I GUESS. AND YES I WILL POST SOME PICTURES OF MY POND. I ONLY HAVE KOI, AND IT SEEMS THE CHAGOI IS THE WHALE IN THE POND.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
Hello everyone, new to this site so if i may sound a little ridiculous in some of my questions is because i'm a newbie to forums. I live in brooklyn N.Y. and have approx. 1000 gallon pond in the yard. I dug out the hole and laid in the rubber matting to form the pond. I've had it for almost 15 years so some of my koi are massive, some over 30 inches if in fact that is massive to some of you. My problem is i have been using this old tub filter with a pump that pumps the water into the filter over some mess pads that collect the dirt and debris. I'm exhausted from unclogging the pumps head which leaves me at many times with no filter working at all and if i don't catch it right away that day the water starts to turn green. I have a UV light but since the water isn't going through the system its useless. I NEED A GREAT FILTER SYSTEM. I don't want to start with bottom drains or taking the pond apart. Is there a system that i can just hook up to the pond the way the pond stands right now. Something thats outside the pond but draws the water out into it and i can clean the filter very easily. Instead of taking the whole tub apart and washing out the filter pads. Its so time consuming and starting to become not fun anymore. Money really isn't an issue but i don't want to spend thousands on a filter system. All of my fish were purchased from a company in japan, shipped to Hawaii then to kennedy airport where fed ex or what ever carrier they use deliver the box to my door step. All of this takes no more than 60 hours from start to finish. Waiting for your help in brooklyn.............thank you in advance

Ask a Question