need your help once again - this time re: goldfish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi everyone, now that my oversized koi are safe and sound with koidaddy, I am having serious withdrawal. I cannot begin to tell you how much I miss them!! I find myself still looking for them when I walk by, sad huh?? Anyway, the pond is only 160 gallons but I need to get some goldfish to love. Which type do you all recommend (that won't outgrow the small pond)?? Thanks for any and all input as I am ready to get some new pets! :goldfish:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
myself...i would get a couple sarassas, and a couple shubunkins...both can resemble koi quite a bit.

There are some beautiful shubunkins, multiple colors, patterns. I love mine and my goldies

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just got some shubbies and they kind of look like the calico colored koi and the red/white goldfish look cool also. I have a few pure white/pinkish goldies that show up really nice in the pond.
Love the goldfish w/ the really long flowing tails! With you being in Florida you could put some of those little fat bellied fantails in your pond. They come in really pretty colors. Will be fun seeing what you find.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks guys, I looked up sarassas and shubunkins and they both look great! Now I will start looking around for someplace nearby to search for some special ones. I'll keep you posted!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I have a couple shubunkins that look like koi only smaller.
Your babies are doing fine Chris. We have had rain everyday here since I brought them home. They are staying mostly on the bottom but are getting use to me checking on them. As soon as they figure I have food the fun will start. I cant wait to put them in the big pond and will keep you updated on them..

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks guys, I looked up sarassas and shubunkins and they both look great! Now I will start looking around for someplace nearby to search for some special ones. I'll keep you posted!

Post pictures of your new kids when you get them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have a couple shubunkins that look like koi only smaller.
Your babies are doing fine Chris. We have had rain everyday here since I brought them home. They are staying mostly on the bottom but are getting use to me checking on them. As soon as they figure I have food the fun will start. I cant wait to put them in the big pond and will keep you updated on them..
I think I will go with shubunkins, I like their coloring. Thanks for the update on the koi. I know it sounds silly but I can't believe how much I miss them. I'm just so happy that they will have lots of room to swim around. How long do fish usually need to be quarantined for before you can introduce them to the new pond? My pond is empty so I won't have to wait! :)

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
I think I will go with shubunkins, I like their coloring. Thanks for the update on the koi. I know it sounds silly but I can't believe how much I miss them. I'm just so happy that they will have lots of room to swim around. How long do fish usually need to be quarantined for before you can introduce them to the new pond? My pond is empty so I won't have to wait! :)
I am going to leave them in for 4 weeks. I am just going to monitor thier swimming and feeding habits and make sure they have no skin problems.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am going to leave them in for 4 weeks. I am just going to monitor thier swimming and feeding habits and make sure they have no skin problems.
Wow, four weeks is a long time, thanks so much for taking such good care of them. The large orange one was the "alpha-fish" of our pond, and the most timid koi was the orange and white. He is the only one who would never take the dry koi food from my hand, but he would come for cooked broccoli ! I can't wait to see the new dynamic of my pond with the new goldfish I get. How many would you suggest for a pond my size (160g)? I really don't want to overcrowd.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A soft rule is 1" of fish per gallon of water. Goldfish, shubunkins can get over 10 inches, so if you go with 10 inches per grown fish, that would be 16 fish. I would stick with 10 or fewer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A soft rule is 1" of fish per gallon of water. Goldfish, shubunkins can get over 10 inches, so if you go with 10 inches per grown fish, that would be 16 fish. I would stick with 10 or fewer.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind, I don't want to overcrowd them or have them get too big like my koi! I will probably just get a couple in the beginning and see how it goes from there. Do you feed yours a pellet-type food or flake?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My monsters eat floating pellets, I throw in medium and small, so the smaller fish can eat them easily.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I feed mine floating pellets several times per day now since I found out goldfish don't have stomachs and need small amts more often.

Ask a Question