Needing some advice on water

Reaction score
A few weeks back we had some heavy rain (for several days and nights), I think I might have gotten some runoff, THINK. I'm not sure any more. I had made a small change to the edge of the pond. I've since changed it back to prevent any further runoff into the pond.

That was about 3 weeks ago.

Since then I have been battling cloudy water.

The first water change I made may have made matters worse, I used well water and I think the well water may have been cloudy too. Since then I've done at 3 more changes with what appears to be clear water and one change with RO water which I KNOW is filtered with no visible solids.

My water is so cloudy. With little particles floating in it. Meanwhile the plants and fish are doing GREAT. The problem is only clarity, I can't really see the fish. My husband is suggesting that my fish are kicking up the particles off the bottom when they swim.

I have a pressure filter that goes to a waterfall bucket. Inside the waterfall bucket I have the usual filter and several layers of the fine quilt batting. On the exit of the waterfall bucket I have some additional quilt batting in hopes of catching these small particles - its working, I have to clean this every 4 to 5 hours. The waterfall bucket filters I have to clean every morning.

I'm attaching three pictures. The large floating bits are food pellets. The particles are NOT as large as they look in the picture, I think they are blurred a bit. You can see my fish, this area of the pond is about 2-3 feet, so normally I have full visibility. This is normally where I feed the fish and check them for any problems.

Thoughts please!!!!!! Feeling frustrated!

Water 1.jpg
Water 2.jpg
Water 3.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would try scooping some water in a jar and see if the particles settle to the bottom. And then you can get a good look at exactly what it is that's in the water.

Reaction score
I scooped some water up in a jar, it looked clear. WEIRD!!!! UGH!

Here is a picture of my extra quilt batting about 3 hours after I cleaned it this morning.

The other thing I noticed is the water looks green. I don't remember it looking quite so green.

Now I am wondering if I am cleaning my filters too often and causing some of the problem. I am using city water to clean the filters with. And normally when I do it every 2 or 3 weeks there's no issue, but since I'm doing it almost once a day .... ? My pressure filter does provide bio filtration too - I am not cleaning that other than back washing.]

My pond is almost a year old (10 months), could this be just another phase? Another cycle? Do I just wait it out?

Quilt.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I wonder if you have a touch of ammonia and your pond is fighting back naturally. This almost looks like what you may need a UV light for. Strange that the quilt batting is not getting all of it.

Reaction score
Yes, it does have chlorine in it. Just to be clear again, I have two bio type filters going on, one is in the pressure filter and the other is the waterfall bucket. The pressure filter has not been exposed to chlorine, just back washing.

I'm going to check the water tonight when I have some time. The only fish I have added are two 6 inch koi. So I don't think they would cause this.

My other thought is since I have netted the pond, I have halted the feasting of the heron. My platy's are multiplying again, perhaps the pond is trying to catch up with them ... ? There seem to be a lot of small babies, small, but I guess they add to the load.

I have my other pump, but have not set up my other bio filter, I had toyed with a shower/trickle tower, they seemed the easiest to make. Any thoughts???

I'm just going to stop cleaning the filters for a few days and see how it goes. The pond has handled heavy loads of the small platy's before - of course the koi were not this large ...... ugh!

Its funny how all it happened around the rain. Although now I don't think that is the main cause any more.

Reaction score
Quilt batting will never be able to filter out floating algae. More will develope. It is a small filter (i think) so it might not be up to the task.

Any suggestions? I have two filters - the pressure filter and the waterfall bucket. Other than when I first started the pond, this is the first time I've had this problem.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Check the bulb before you pitch it. Does it have a time selector (ie. 4, 6, 12 . 24hr)? Run it for 24hrs until it clears then dial it back (if you have the option) to the level that sustains the clarity.

24hr bulbs last about a year, so you're probably right on the money with that.

Must be your temperatures, I don't run a UV light in my pond and haven't experienced a bloom, even in the hottest summers.

As always, I'm available to hand deliver the new bulb and to install it in exchange for room/board/food/alcohol. This process will take approximately 2.5 months, at which time I have to come back home and pack for the Dominican.

Reaction score
Check the bulb before you pitch it. Does it have a time selector (ie. 4, 6, 12 . 24hr)? Run it for 24hrs until it clears then dial it back (if you have the option) to the level that sustains the clarity.

24hr bulbs last about a year, so you're probably right on the money with that.

Must be your temperatures, I don't run a UV light in my pond and haven't experienced a bloom, even in the hottest summers.

As always, I'm available to hand deliver the new bulb and to install it in exchange for room/board/food/alcohol. This process will take approximately 2.5 months, at which time I have to come back home and pack for the Dominican.

Mine is 24 hour bulb, I don't have any settings. So I guess that's it. My temps and the constant sun makes it impossible to not have algae problems.

Unfortunately my sister in law has pitched up, believe me, I would prefer to have you come redo my pond! LOL!

Ask a Question