Neglected scum slop pit of death.

Reaction score
I swear that's what I've got. Came with the house! Pics to follow...but I'm lazy, so no pics yet.

Naturally occuring pond in this case. Approx 6-8k gallons. I believe it's high water table controlled. A bit over a foot deep at the moment. Very slimy and mucky. Tall grass growing thru out. Has an inlet coming from the corner of the house up on a slight hill. No doubt for a rain gutter system that's not there...outlet going off the edge of the lawn into forest.

I'm intending on digging the pond out as its filled with silt and grass plants. I dug out the weeds in one side just to get an idea of appearance and was really happy. As it is water table controlled, I should be able to dig as deep as I want with no problems. Also because it's water table...the water level fluctuates pretty heavy. Lately it's been disappointingly low...

I ran the hose yesterday for around 4 hours and raised the water level 3 inches. I shut the water off and it dropped back an inch in around 12 hours. Is this a lost cause? As plants suck up water, How much will ripping the rest of the grass out help?

J

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I expect the water you added seeped into the ground. If you want control of the water level you will need to install a liner.

There is a good chance that this water has a lot of nitrates and nutrients Even if you dig the pond deeper it will still be a mess with high nitrates.. Get it tested prior to committing to using it. A day or two ago a fellow was here and his natural pond was choked with duck weed. You can expect similar problems with high nutrients.

Reaction score
I agree that the water just went into the ground. A liner would be difficult, as this location has a massive boulder in the middle of the pond that would require heavy equipment to move (heavy heavy equipment).

Im not sure of the nitrate levels being an issue.are there additives for this? Not much I can do to control the water in the area...

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I do not know of any chemical methods to remove nitrates. Take a water sample to a pet store and have them test it for nitrates.

Reaction score
I believe HTH means, if your nitrates were at "high" level, you would have an over abundance of duck weed or possiblely algae. These plants flourish in high nitrates. I would assume you have a lot of organic matter in there. Basically what it sounds like you have is a Marsh, and it would have to have just the right "ingredients" to support fish. Would like to see pictures if you can :)

Reaction score
A good description...

Old overhead google shots show it as open water, and it's definitely small enough that hand digging is possible.

Should I run into any issues just diging this deeper? (I am aware I should keep an eye out for clay)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Why keep an eye out for clay ? Google may have taken the picture in the winter or early spring.

On the nitrate the higher it is the harder it will be to keep the duckweed under control and the harder it will be on fish. My tap water has 30 PPM nitrate and with confined duckweed and bare root lilies it has come down slightly rather then going up. The system has 7 containers. 6 have fish and the 7th is duckweed.

Reaction score
Currently don't have any duckweed...

So digging this deeper... Do I just rip out the swamp grass, rake out the detrus, then start shoveling?

Can I use the slop that comes up to build up the land around the pond?

Reaction score
Here are some shots. The one with the ducks was early last month (note the higher water on the rocks)

The green pipe is inlet from the house non existant gutters.
The Cast Iron pipe drains excess across under the yard and into the woods.

DSCF9618.JPGDSCF9615.JPGDSCF9325.JPGDSCF9617.JPG

Reaction score
My wellhead is approx 15 ft off camera. Could I set up a hand pump and siphon water into pond to raise level? That way I'm not using the well pump, or electricity....

Ask a Question