Nets 'n Leaves

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's been a banner year for leaves in the mountains. But the net has done a pretty good job of keeping them out of the pond. What that means, of course, is that there a ton of leaves stuck in the netting. And it's almost like each one is stuck in the net and has to be removed individually. Has anyone discovered a way to remove leaves from the netting en masse? Or is individual removal the only way?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
poor last watermelon did not make it
100_9567.JPG
100_9592.JPG
100_9594.JPG
100_9600.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a mesh type net, so leaves don't get stuck ....I blow them off with our leaf blower :)

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How big are the openings in your net? I have 1/4" mesh and I don't have a problem with the leaves getting stuck - and I have oak, maple, and the real tiny leaves from a crab apple tree.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
what @mrsclem said. But for mine i didnt have to lose anything.. the leaves weigh the net down to below water level anyway.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It's been a banner year for leaves in the mountains. But the net has done a pretty good job of keeping them out of the pond. What that means, of course, is that there a ton of leaves stuck in the netting. And it's almost like each one is stuck in the net and has to be removed individually. Has anyone discovered a way to remove leaves from the netting en masse? Or is individual removal the only way?

This is pvc with 1/4" poly/nylon netting. Works great, been doing this many many years and I've been inundated with leaves
this year. BUT, not in the pond. I use a gas blower every week and now we're looking good. I keep my skimmer going all year
so after blowing, residual goes into the skimmer. Water stays crystal clear even though main drain, uv's and bio are all shut down. In this pic, the water is pink from a PP treatment I do in March and in mid to late Oct ....
IMG_6324.jpg

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Nets are cheap, tear easily and are disposable and recyclable.

A monster net (24x30) is about $35-40.

If it lasts, reuse it. If it's toast, pitch it.

jMHO, but i'm stickin' to it.........

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nets are cheap, tear easily and are disposable and recyclable.

A monster net (24x30) is about $35-40.

If it lasts, reuse it. If it's toast, pitch it.

jMHO, but i'm stickin' to it.........

This net was a DeWitt 20 x 20 ... $60 ... it will last 2-3 years... If you get a tear, you can throw a black tie wrap on it and it isn't even noticeable.
It has a lot of give for snow but never ripped... 1/4" is great !!!

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Yup, zip-ties, weaving.......it all works, but after the second season, it's tired.

Freddy Mercury asked "Who wants to live forever".

Some of my clients put a PPE cover over your apparatus. It gets warm in there.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I wrap my pond in a plastic sheet which also keeps the cold breeze out. I wouldnt do it any other way imo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
Before I pull the net off, I try to scoop as many leaves off of it as I can on the part that sits on the water's surface. After that, we just yank the net and shake off the leaves before storing it. I want to say we have 1/4" holes in the net.

lynnsisko

Lynn mucking about
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I quit using a net for that reason and because I suffocated fish when the heavy net fell into the water. I have a large pond, 15' X 30'. I tried every kind of way to keep leaves out. Now I put on my waders and do a clean out leaves in late fall and early spring. I'm still dealing with heavy wet leaves, but at least I've taken a massive net out of the equation.

Ask a Question