Netting ideas

Reaction score
Country
United States
So i have a koi pond with varying size koi between 8 and 30 inch. Its easy enough to net the big boys but its quite a bitch to net the smaller quick koi.
So my question is this. Say you want to bowl a koi to check it out, either for disease or sizing ect. And its shooting around the pond at a 100 miles an hour.. How do you catch it? If i chase it around its going to run into things and get hurt.

I have a about a 10" round koi net (soft material and about 18" deep) . I assume i need to buy one of those 30" round nets? They are so shallow though. koi like to jump so im affraid that I'll get it to the top of the water and it will jump right out of that shallow net.

If you have a good netting technique please share...

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No netting technique, just use fishing string and a barbless hook.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use window screen and do not feed them for a couple of days and when I do I put the food in the screening .Been catching them that way for years for people .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im trying to picture what you mean. Do you use the netting as a trap? Meaning you close one side of the net and when the fish enters the other side you pull it up to trap it inside ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I understand your frustration ! I've watched countless experts gracefully guide a koi into a floating tub, then lift it. Once a year I round up all the surviving fry and it's crazy...they fly through the air! In the end I practically drain the pond to catch the fast small ones....wish I had some better experience to offer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If I put a net in my pond, all my fish go wacky. If I get IN the pond, I can pick up any one of my big fish. The smaller ones are still skittish, but the big ones (and even some of the bigger goldfish) will swim right into my hands.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I understand your frustration ! I've watched countless experts gracefully guide a koi into a floating tub, then lift it. Once a year I round up all the surviving fry and it's crazy...they fly through the air! In the end I practically drain the pond to catch the fast small ones....wish I had some better experience to offer.
I know exactly what you mean!
I bought both the large round net, and the open end sleeve you often see the pro using, but come time to move my koi to the new pond, I know it won't be as easy as they make it out to be....perhaps those fish on videos are so used to getting netted they don't even try to fight it anymore, but mine will fight me with all they've got I bet ya!:ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I know exactly what you mean. I started with a small pond and quickly had to build bigger. The only way I was able to get all of them out was to keep lowering the water. They were very stressed. Some people bring their fish inside for the winter. I don't know how they do it every year.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 metal pipes that go across my pond and sewed the nets like I did with the side cover for my pond .I throw food in it and wait and pull the 2 pipes together and they are in the net

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Like what @Lisak1 said! I was in my pond last w/end and inadvertently grabbed one of my larger GF when I was reaching for a plant. Scared the crap out of both of us, but it does seem that they are more accepting when I’m in the water with them. Trying to net them (unless it’s 60degrees outside) is futile.

@Rich8888ri, thank you for being concerned for the well-being of your fish!

Ask a Question