Netting pond in winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
For those of you who receive significant snow in the winter, I'm wondering how you protect your pond from predators during the winter? I have to leave my pond netted 24/7, and I am concerned about accumulating snow weighing down the net into the water and/or freezing into the water. I've had one raccoon attack, and it was devastating, so I do not want to take the net off. I live in zone 5 and in a "lake effect snow belt," so our annual snowfall averages around 200"! We also receive howling winds...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can put styrofoam between the netting and the pond .I use the styrofoam that some of the electronics come packed in the bigger styrofoam block is the better ..But the cheapest is the styrofoam that is used for packing things like tv's and larger items .But this year since my pond is rectangular I just put 2x4 's across the pond with the screening stapled to it .Even large balls will work but found some times they pop and you can also buy the styrofoam wreath rings .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was wondering about that but figure anitapond was just asking in general .But really I think most take the nets off there ponds after leaves stop blowing in .I would think most don't worry about predators in the winter except people who live in states where they don't get winter and keep there ponds running all year round .

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
My sentiment, exactly, Sissy! I've never had a raccoon try to get at the fish in the winter, even when there is a hole open in the ice. The fish are out of reach on the bottom, and any attempt to get one would result in a VERY cold dip! John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I leave mine without netting during the winter, may have to put some fencing back up next year when the heron comes back. The racoons have never bothered my pond or fish, but it is deep.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Same here. I have racoons come around in the spring and summer but stay away in the winter, the only creature I have seen venture onto the ice was a squirrel to get a drink, almost fell in.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Same here. I have racoons come around in the spring and summer but stay away in the winter, the only creature I have seen venture onto the ice was a squirrel to get a drink, almost fell in.

I had deer walk on mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Thanks for the idea, Sissy! I think Styrofoam will do the trick!

Haro, yes, eventually my pond will freeze over, except for where the deicer is, however, it's during the interim period that I am worried about.

Also (and unfortunately...) my pond is built perfectly for coons to dine. I have a plant shelf all the way around for them to stand on, and my pond is only 20" deep. One of those "if I knew then what I know now" deals.

I've read that coons don't actually hibernate, and they do come out in winter. Where I live I am surrounded on three sides by an 800-acre wildlife habitat and on the fourth side is one of our Great Lakes. Therefore, it seems like I always have an abundance of critters visiting my yard, and, of course, the pond just attracts them that much more.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow you have it double bad an 800 acre wildlife habitat .I guess that means next summer you will be doing some work on your pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yep, sounds like all the wildlife likely come to your pond to drink as well, since you keep an opening. The lake doesn't have that when it gets cold and freezes. LOL Good luck with your predator net! Sissy has tons of good ideas, you will soon learn. :) She's pretty much a jack of all trades, can fix or build thing out of nothing it seems, and cheaply as well!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If you have big box stores near you ,you can ask them if they have some styrofoam they can give you and most are glad to get rid of it .Life has taught me alot and thank you for the compliment country .I just am a cheapskate I guess .reuse recycle .But I guess most people are doing that more these days .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Sissy, you so remind me of my Mom. She always had a way of finding things that were worthless and make them into things. I've seen items you have made with your own hands and am amazed at the workmanship. And, yes, you find throw away items and make them more than useful in the pond, and better to use them than throw them away, especially items like styrofoam. Like you said, those stores are probably happy to give you all you want! I've learned lots from you throughout the last 8 months or so that I have been on this Forum. You and others, of course! It's always fun to learn new "tricks". :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm amazed at what I have learned and having fun learning is better than those formal pond sights that talk over your head .I joined a couple of them but either no ones on there sights or like I said they talk over my head and I get confused .LOLthe deer head and bear head are made of would the lumber yard throws out and so are the planters

Attachments

• flowers and rustic studio 034.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 034.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 286
  • flowers and rustic studio 031.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 031.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 315
  • flowers and rustic studio 022.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 022.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 302
  • flowers and rustic studio 019.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 019.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 333
  • flowers and rustic studio 037.JPG
    flowers and rustic studio 037.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 288
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Haha, see Anita! Ask and you will see all the "leftover" parts that get made into pretty and cool things at Sissy's house. I'm pretty sure she has made bird houses as well, again with leftover lumber that costs just her time. :) Great pics, Sissy, thanks for sharing.

Ask a Question