Netting question

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have been using this type of netting (pic) stretched over the pond for years. I'm not a big fan because of the slightly reduced viewing and my plants/snakes/everything gets caught up in it.

I'm thinking of putting some stakes in the ground and making a tent/canopy that sits well above the pond. I figure with that, I can go with some netting that has much larger weave than what I have now since mr heron won't be able to get near the fish.

Good idea?

Anyone use this approach? Who sells netting with larger weave than the typical netting? I'm thinking I could go with at least 2" maybe more?

NET.jpeg

NET2.jpeg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
What size is the netting from that website? It says 6ft deep. Not sure what that means.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looks like a 6' wide roll that is quite long even for a single pound of it.

To elevate the net, take a look at garden flag holders like this: https://www.united-states-flag.com/garden-flag-holder.html

I have a smaller weave net that I suspend above the pond with these. When my net goes bad (I only use it October-May) I'll get the wide weave and put on these.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I and @addy1 and maybe others use the wide weave net which is much easier to view through. Got mine here and so did addy: http://www.memphisnet.net/product/75/netting_multi_277
I had to sew mine together w/fishing line to make it wider. https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/heron-netting-101.13205/

View attachment 109624
Do you have any tips to figure out how much is needed? I'm confused by the per lb. price . I have a nice mesh type net which I keep openings in for frogs etc., but it's density makes it hard to view the pond. It's great for leave season, but I'm thinking of doing what you and @addy1 do, for the rest of the year.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is on year round, the herons come all of the time even winter. My net is heavier than JW's. I have been using it for around 5 years, just now starting get aged.

I called and talked to them. Told them the use I needed it for. They helped me a lot in picking out and understanding net language. It is a gill net, used for fishing.

Mine is around 3 feet over the pond, held up by fence posts, high enough the heron can not strike through it. Nothing gets stuck. No little drowned birds, no trapped frogs etc.

The herons still fly over almost daily, they just keep going now. Before they visited every day.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Do you have any tips to figure out how much is needed? I'm confused by the per lb. price . I have a nice mesh type net which I keep openings in for frogs etc., but it's density makes it hard to view the pond. It's great for leave season, but I'm thinking of doing what you and @addy1 do, for the rest of the year.

If you call them and tell them what you want to do they can help you. I can't remember how wide it was. I measured my pond and came up w/needing 18' wide and 25' long. Can't remember if you can get it 12' wide and 6' wide. But I know I only sewed one seam so it must have come in those two widths. It cost me about $50. w/ shipping. but that was a few yrs ago. I would get the stronger stuff next time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
If you call them and tell them what you want to do they can help you. I can't remember how wide it was. I measured my pond and came up w/needing 18' wide and 25' long. Can't remember if you can get it 12' wide and 6' wide. But I know I only sewed one seam so it must have come in those two widths. It cost me about $50. w/ shipping. but that was a few yrs ago. I would get the stronger stuff next time.
Which one would you recommend?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have been using this type of netting (pic) stretched over the pond for years. I'm not a big fan because of the slightly reduced viewing and my plants/snakes/everything gets caught up in it.

I'm thinking of putting some stakes in the ground and making a tent/canopy that sits well above the pond. I figure with that, I can go with some netting that has much larger weave than what I have now since mr heron won't be able to get near the fish.

Good idea?

Anyone use this approach? Who sells netting with larger weave than the typical netting? I'm thinking I could go with at least 2" maybe more?

View attachment 109622

View attachment 109623

I'll be doing the same this year having put in the pond only last year so plants didn't get much time to establish.
The netting you are using now looks like what I used for deer fences, it's not really strong enough to hold off the Heron's pecking. Even with the good knotted types they can make holes if they are persistent. I have no idea why they are protected in NJ, I see more of them than swans nowadays.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Which one would you recommend?

I have had mine up since 2013 and now it is starting to rip when the snow builds up on it. I think the one @addy1 bought is stronger than mine. You get more snow and hot sun where you live and that will take more of a toll on a net. The tar stuff they dip the net in costs a bit more but prolly worth it to make it last longer.

@mrsclem I see they say they have actual pond netting at the West Coast one and they recommend polyester over nylon as they say it holds up better than nylon. Looks like you have to have a catalog sent to you to see their prices or maybe you can call them and ask.

Ask a Question