Netting

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a well established pond and have had numerous heron sightings. Having bought a net to cover 80%, I'm tired of the view, magnolia leaves and all. There are no Koi, long digested, but I am attached to the goldfish. I'd really like to remove the net. Suggestions?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Open weave gill net- 4-5" opening ,black so not really visible but great at keeping herons out.
I use the same! I have mine hanging about 2 feet above the ponds surface, all other critters don't get stuck. Plants don't get bothered etc.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Me too same thing, w/mine about 3 ft above water line attached to a short wire fence as those darn birds will walk right in if you don't have it all closed in.
Better to keep the fish safe than lose all your fish and you will lose them all for sure cuz those birds are very persistent! If you want to spend more money and time you could build an enclosure like @brokensword did. I love hers! She has updated photos. This I believe is right after it was built.
pond cover idea.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Me too same thing, w/mine about 3 ft above water line attached to a short wire fence as those darn birds will walk right in if you don't have it all closed in.
Better to keep the fish safe than lose all your fish and you will lose them all for sure cuz those birds are very persistent! If you want to spend more money and time you could build an enclosure like @brokensword did. I love hers! She has updated photos. This I believe is right after it was built.
View attachment 142550
HE has updated photos, you love HIS version of netting a pond, it's a HIM thang, don'tcha know?? :p:p:p

Sheesh!

and you didn't mention it'll keep out the most predacious of all threats, MOSQUITOES!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hey @brokensword, all the pictures I've seen have been inside the enclosure, which is awesome.
That photo from the outside is also very impressive.
From a distance you wouldn't know there's a pond in there.
Very nicely done!
as long as the mosquitoes don't know WE'RE in there, that's all that matters! Thanks for the compliment! I'm amazed at how much it's changed (the outside) whenever j.w posts up the initial build pic, compared to now;

first is West side, 2020 after expansion but before painting, second is east side 2021complete.

200606 - pondhouse west  copy.jpg
210627 -pondhouse east.jpg

Ask a Question