Netvines new small pond on the blocks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Learning an awful lot here from you all, Thank You! Until recently I did not know what a check valve or schedule 40 was. This is a starter pond, would love to go “in ground“ one day, big enough to keep koi. Hoping to make mistakes and learn the basics. I have linked a few things here along the way on the off chance someone who is even newer to this than me might be helped by this thread in the future... Either from my success, or as a cautionary tale.

There are three Rubbermaid stock tanks(2x100 gallon 1x300) on a pea gravel base to keep it from settling too much, gets wet here. The plan is a bog on top, few goldfish in the middle tank, and more in the bottom 300.

6BBA27B8-F920-4D18-9472-BD639EEDBBC1.jpeg

The main (300 gallon) tank drains via a 2” mpt lifegard strainer, through the 2” fpt bulkhead, knife valve, and down a gradual slope of a five foot section of 2” pipe.
8C5358CE-1447-475C-A994-584C467A3D7D.jpeg

Held tight on that end by a 2” Fernco coupling to a slip fpt adapter, finally to the Periha 25000 pump which is located on ground level just behind the bog tank. The water pumps up through a fpt to slip adapter piped through a Fernco coupling, 20” more of pipe to a full swing check valve and, a 90 dwv nibco foam fitting(hope it holds the pressure) to the mpt to slip adapter.
E5DEFB17-DDCC-44C1-AC41-10FEF099B906.jpeg

now for the uglier part. mpt to slip adapter, 2” fpt bulkhead, T fitting down via another 90 fitting into the bog manifold (evenly spaced slits on bottom, with some more on top, because I lack self control) . The T also splits straight across and than up via a couple 90’s and a 2” ball valve. To connect to the waterfall, a 2” spig to 1 1/4” fpt and a 1 1/4” nipple to the 1 1/4” input on the Acrylic waterfall from ebay. So this will hopefully allow sufficient dwell time in the bog, and 1000-1200gph to the waterfall. I tried the Head calc wizard, 10 ft of total head? :shrug:
1AB7AAFE-229F-4E0B-BF34-22ADC20CD7B3.jpeg

11FD3CE0-597F-47C5-A2DD-3A51F630A325.jpeg

There are two slip bulkheads for the bog returns on each tank. Those bulkheads connect on the output side to 12” lengths of 2” sched 40 pipe. I painted them black with flat black camouflage krylon fusion. The plan is to get creative with bamboo in the future To improve aesthetics.

On the top tank on the intake side of the slip bulkheads are 90 degree dwv fittings attached to allow the water level to be a little higher than the bulkheads. The bottom tank will have 2” slip strainers on the inside of the bulkheads for the safety of the occupants.

Going to put about 12” of pea gravel in the top tank, over the manifold, followed by Biocenosis baskets and backfill around with more pea gravel. Unfortunately we are too low on water at the moment to fill the tanks and (rinse the bog substrate, of the dust particles). Will get another water delivery soon. (water, water, everywhere, nor any a drop to drink). Will post here again after that.

8F613505-D319-4FC1-B7AD-39AA253B1A05.jpeg
The bog tank also has a drain with a decent 3/4” mpt to 3/4” mht hose Bibb to drain the bog a bit if necessary. A 1.25” to 3/4” bushing worked in the oem Rubbermaid stock tank drain, but this is dicey as the stock tank drain threads are not technically fpt (so I’ve read). the bushing and bibb have passed the leak test so far, fingers crossed.

I have a UV and 1.5” leaf basket I may add in time. I wanted to keep it simple(r) At the outset.

Last edited:

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
You went all in with the plumbing aspect of things! Are you going to wrap the bins with wood or something, or just leave them how they are?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hopefully, I havent Made any critical errors with the plumbing?

We like how Criscar wrapped with bamboo, Definetly something like that. Possibly drilling some additional holes on the top lip to hold the bamboo fencing so it covers all the brick etc. I don’t think I’d hear the end of it if I left it how it was. Im already not very popular here for having drilled holes in perfectly good stock tanks.:cool:

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States

We like how Criscar wrapped with bamboo, Definetly something like that. Possibly drilling some additional holes on the top lip to hold the bamboo fencing so it covers all the brick etc. I don’t think I’d hear the end of it if I left it how it was. Im already not very popular here for having drilled holes in perfectly good stock tanks.:cool:
I think the bog plumbing is a little….. complicated ( I would have simply put the bottom manifolds in and let the water rise, spilling out of a notch on the top ) but I think it will work and probably give you a better waterfall than simply letting water spill over the edge!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I can't comment on the plumbing (just don't know enough), but a suggestion on water efficient pea gravel rinsing. I used a tub of water, put the pea gravel in a plastic bucket with holes in it as a sieve, sloshed the gravel filled sieve in the tub, then put the rinsed gravel into the bog. I could reuse the tub of water several times and still get the gravel clean enough. Of course, the used tub water became gardening water. Hope that helps!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I can't comment on the plumbing (just don't know enough), but a suggestion on water efficient pea gravel rinsing. I used a tub of water, put the pea gravel in a plastic bucket with holes in it as a sieve, sloshed the gravel filled sieve in the tub, then put the rinsed gravel into the bog. I could reuse the tub of water several times and still get the gravel clean enough. Of course, the used tub water became gardening water. Hope that helps!
Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think the bog plumbing is a little….. complicated ( I would have simply put the bottom manifolds in and let the water rise, spilling out of a notch on the top ) but I think it will work and probably give you a better waterfall than simply letting water spill over th
I think the bog plumbing is a little….. complicated ( I would have simply put the bottom manifolds in and let the water rise, spilling out of a notch on the top ) but I think it will work and probably give you a better waterfall than simply letting water spill over the edge!
You are so right, It is what came out of fear of having too much flow through the bog and fear of bungling up a diy weir. way too much time to sit and overthink it without any experience. Doing has been such a positive release.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a

Dont worry about drilling holes. No problem there. You used bulkhead fittings for a positive seal. ;)

You could also use plants to help hide the concrete blocks. Bushes, hostas, etc.
Or, surround it all with a small wooden deck, not neccesarily big enough to walk on, just to look good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the walkthrough. Fun set up. You've clearly put a lot of thought into your plumbing. Curious how you chose the perhia 25000. I know Perhia is a big fibber (like most) about their pump curves, but even if 50% and 10' of head, that seems like A LOT of pump for your size system.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thanks for the walkthrough. Fun set up. You've clearly put a lot of thought into your plumbing. Curious how you chose the perhia 25000. I know Perhia is a big fibber (like most) about their pump curves, but even if 50% and 10' of head, that seems like A LOT of pump for your size system.
Hope so! I am a big fan of Jeremy Clarkson, and taking things to 11.

140 watts on the low setting for $129 from seasideaquatics was a good deal. The alpine twist etc kinda pricier especially after added warranty. I’ve heard seaside is honorable. I have enjoyed immensely reading here and on koiphen all I could find. I have especially liked the Periha threads on koiphen, pump selection is Very hard for a beginner like myself. I particularly enjoyed the back and forths on here and koiphen about anoxic filtration. I am curious enough to give both a shot, in my own way, it will bring me joy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Periha is the brand koiphen loves to hate and hates to love.
The 25,000 (this is at 140watt setting) was uhm yea maybe *cough* a smidge too powerful. Ordered a smaller one. . I dont want to cause stress for any fish i add from turbulence.

If i put the strainers on the 2” pipes that tank begins to rapidly overflow. When i turn it on water level drops in the big tank by around 3”. The 25,000 will have to wait for future endeavors.

Heres a short clip

673FC940-1099-49C9-A01B-17348AA18B43.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice. You can also just put a valve on the discharge of the pump and close it down until you get the flow you're looking for. That will also reduce energy use, though not as much as having a smaller pump. Not talking about a lot of watts either way. They're pretty efficient pumps.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
that is some serious flow! I love how nice that waterfall sheet is, deffinitly worth the spillway.

Ask a Question