Never bite the hand that feeds you.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i just took 2 frogs down to the creek this morning...once again i caught them in my fry pond!...i gotta be able to pick some i want before they are all picked thru for frogs meals.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
LOL that is one big worm to froggy! neat video

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mucky that was so funny! Wonder how long he would have tried to digest that finger of yours and If you had left him to his ways would it start to digest from his stomach acids?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
he was hanging on for dear life and not letting the hand that fed him get away

Reaction score
Thanks for watching. B)

Mucky that was so funny! Wonder how long he would have tried to digest that finger of yours and If you had left him to his ways would it start to digest from his stomach acids?
He'd probably spit it out pretty quick on his own once he realized he couldn't swallow it whole. I have watched them spit out other things that were too big to swallow.
One thing I learned though,,,,,, frogs have teeth.

Our frogs have been the real source of enjoyment in our new pond. With them living within the small confines of our courtyard we have had to adapt to their habits, and they have adapted to ours. Since there isn't really enough naturally avalible food for them in the confined space I have taken on the task of feeding them. First just worms, now I have also been feeding them crickets. The worms were nice because they are free and I have lots in a compost pile, but not that convenient or easy to feed them, plus worms are not their favorite food. They seem to love crickets though, but crickets I have to pay for, and catching them out of their container gets old fast. Just by accident I found a better way to feed them the crickets that works very well. Last time we bought a 100 crickets in a container we inadvertently left them in the car,,,,, in the sun,,,,, :grumble: ,,,,,,, so what to do with 100 dead, or nearly, dead crickets??? Well rather than throw them away I froze them. Now what I do is get a saucer of warm water and grab as many crickets as I think I'll need and put them in the saucer to thaw out. Fortunetly my frogs have gotten very use to taking food right from our hands, so there is no problem feeding them the thawed out dead crickets. Which makes me wonder if I couldn't just feed them large koi food pellets, or dog food, or something like that???

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Talk about EYES bigger than your Stomach ,Now that one moxxy BULL FROG ! Might want to count you small kio .LOL Great video.

Reaction score
I love the video. How did you get the frog to eat from your hand. I know with food, but most of the frogs around here jump in the pond as soon as we get close.
Ryan I think there are a few reasons why our frogs have become so tame.
One reason is that our pond is right out the back door and we spend a lot of time hanging around out there eating meals and hanging out like it was our livingroom. The frogs (and turtles) eventually just get use to us being there and so we no longer appear as a threat to them.
Next is the way I started dropping bugs in front of them. They would see my hand coming and the next thing they knew there was a meal sitting in front of them. Now when they see my hand they just think FOOD.
Finally I think it's also has a lot to do with the kind of frog they are. Some frogs have a very strong flight instinct, and some have a strong freeze instinct, hoping that if they stay still enough they won't be spotted. My frogs are the latter type. They will hop away if startled or you get too close very fast, but if they clearly watch you coming the'll just stay very still and hope you don't spot them.
It's funny because I have watched them fight the urge to go after a meal and move, against the urge to stay very very still. Sometimes when I drop a worm or cricket in front of them and they want to go after it so bad, but they know I'm standing right there and their instict is to stay still so they don't revealing themselves. Their urges get in conflict and you can sometimes see their back foot will start to twitch. It's funny to watch, I should try and get a video. Although they don't do it much anymore because they've gotten so use to us, as you can see by the actions of the frog in this video, their instinct to not reveal themselves is fading.

Reaction score
Talk about EYES bigger than your Stomach ,Now that one moxxy BULL FROG ! Might want to count you small kio .LOL Great video.
Multi I don't worry about the fish (no koi), but we have a couple small turtles I'm sure the bigger frogs could swallow. Not much I can do though except keep those frogs well fed.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Amazing video, that was cute and cool! Enjoyed that a lot. The froggy actually looked like he was dancing to the music for a bit there. I also think that's the first time I've seen the pond with all the plants and water going. I've watched the build video and watched the thread while you were building. But I don't think I have seen one since shortly after you got the pond up and running. Looks great! I think it's about time to show off your pond and the views again for the new members. For those that have never seen Mucky's build video and the first snow it's a must watch. Lot of thought and effort went into that pond and it shows! :highfive: :beerchug:

Ask a Question