Never seen this before

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if I’m in the right place but hopefully the water experts can help.

I need to find out what this is but I’m struggling. It’s in an whopping great estate pond, concrete built and has aeration and a fairly decent fish stock. This has been building up on the cables and Pipework for at least a year but is a lot worse this year. Strange stuff, hopefully someone can help. I should probably mention this is UK.

83987411-50B9-4544-B2BC-3E3EC0BB00B0.jpeg

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Nothing I've seen before. Is that a power cord around it? Consistency? Some type of black algae perhaps but looks almost foamy?

I heard you also have those fatbergs over there...;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That’s the power cable yeah. I haven’t been up there for a while and I didn’t take the pic but I remember it being pretty tough and not foamy. Pretty odd stuff, looks like something you’d find in the sea not a pond.

And haha no, I seriously hope it’s not a fatberg.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, my first thought was a contorted water Lily tuber, but IDK…. Have you tried to cut into it, or scrape it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, my first thought was a contorted water Lily tuber, but IDK…. Have you tried to cut into it, or scrape it?
There’s no lilies at all so I wouldn’t have thought so. I need to get up there and take a look I guess. I’ll get some better pictures and hopefully all will become clear.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If we leave our ropes, hoses in the water at our boat stuff builds up fast on the items. It is possible just some dense algae that has decided to grow there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If we leave our ropes, hoses in the water at our boat stuff builds up fast on the items. It is possible just some dense algae that has decided to grow there.
I think you must be right, I’ve been working on ponds for nearly a decade and I’ve just never seen anything like it. I’ll grab a sample when I’m back there and maybe get it under a microscope or something to try and confirm.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
IT's black foam that was not pressed into a square. like waterfall foam i guarantee it. if your on the ocean then it may have had a form prior but the surf beat it up to its now shape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IT's black foam that was not pressed into a square. like waterfall foam i guarantee it. if your on the ocean then it may have had a form prior but the surf beat it up to its now shape
Whatever it is, it’s growing so I can’t see how it can be foam but I’ll cut into the stuff and see when I’m up there next. Won’t be for a week or so but I will update as I’m sure you’re all dying to know

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know anything about pectinatella? A slimy mass of organisms that form apparently.

I think there’s different types of pectinatella but here’s a picture for reference.

Attachments

• 9F69DCBA-C886-4A1E-886C-01DA6515DA84.jpeg
    9F69DCBA-C886-4A1E-886C-01DA6515DA84.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 885AD466-FBB5-4AE5-9595-DDC1FBB1B099.jpeg
    885AD466-FBB5-4AE5-9595-DDC1FBB1B099.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 16

Ask a Question