new 1600g pond

Reaction score
so I have upgraded my pond and I am getting a bit more serious about the filter setup. I am looking into one of the aqua uv ultima II 2000 filters and uv setup. has anyone used this filter setup before? at the moment I have a savio 2050gph pump hooked to a 1 1/2" line for my stream. can I just hook this into that filter... the collection pool is about 5'h and 60' away.... would I need a bigger pump?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Search for the Doc or Skippy bio filter here before you waste your money on a commercial one that will donly be 25% as good as one you can build for 1/3 the money.
You can go to my web page and see how I built the Doc filter.

Reaction score
so I have looked at both those bio filters, but I am confused. coming from a reefer background I have built my own wet/dry system b4 as well as mad custom skimmers and such. these systems seem to be designed backwards compared to a wet/dry; wouldn't you want the water to pour over the media instead of coming from below? and what about pre-filtering? I see none of these uses any mechanical filtration apart from the actual biological medium... right now I have a large ehiem unit running the pond and it's working fine, but it is way too small to last long once I increase stock....

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
these filters are upflow and solids are eliminated by the bottom dump (flush) valve wich flushes the tank or barrel in 30 seconds virtually flushing all solids out to yoir lawn or garden or wherever you choose a flush every 2 weeks will keep your filter clean and effective. your hands dont even have to get wet...

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Koiguy is right on. Let me add that the dirty water has a lot of resistance plus gravity working to purify it. The solids settle as stated in the sump waiting for you to open the dump valve.

You are used to a filter medium that catches the dirt and eventually clogs. These never clog and are the easiest filter to make, use, and clean.

Ask a Question