New 2nd pond in canada

Reaction score
Hello everybody. Been reading on here for a while lots of good info thanks. So this is my second year ponding and i built a new pond this year. My first one was a 450 gallon in full sun with a 20 foot creek that caught way to many pine needles. Bought five koi and they all lived. Kept them in the house all winter in a way to small of a tank but they all grew. 2 where 2 inches long now 7 inches and the 3 5 inchers and now are 10 12 and 15 inches. I did alot of water changes all winter. I new my pond wasnt big enough so off to the store to get a new liner and pump.

Now for the build. I have moved it out of full sun to a full treed area and where i have extened the deck to the edge of pond and now it sees sun first thing in morning and then shade till about 5ish then sun again till 9. It ended up being quite big but i'm gald it did, its 5 feet wide by 18 feet long roughly and 30 inches deep for the most part and 14 or more deep in the rest due to pine tree roots and another tree which made a nice outline between layers of water. It is also 20 inches above ground due to my gasline that runs right through the middle of the pond and i wasnt about to go about finding that (been there done it, not fun, another story). Heres the only pics i took of the build and i even own a pretty nice camera just never use the thing.
1-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Now it is all done and been up and running for 8 weeks with only one water fall leak and it was my own fault. My filters and filters are:
1st 55 gallon barrel filled with the round pot scrubbers, scorring pad things like the skippy ones and then white rock on the top holding them all down. that is fed by my diy bottom drain and 2500gph pump with two air stones on the top of BD and two in the filter. then has two 2 inch discharges to the water fall
2nd is a 1100gph pump make shift 5 gallon skimmer pail because my water is to deep for the in pond skimmer box at homedepot i was going to use, but the pail does the job pretty good job for the time being until i build something new. now that feeds to under water jets and my 4 layer bakki filter filled with lava rock that was in my filter from the tank filter which drains into the top of the barrel which then feeds into the water fall

now to the problems or not i dunno if a should worrie or not. The pond has been up for two months nows. I waited for 4 weeks to add fish, 4 little kois i got from a friend. And water temps to come up to 14 degrees C. Then added the rest everyother day two weeks later. so now have been in there now for a total of two weeks and all seems to be good accept one. Reason being is that when i moved them they went from a 17 degree tank to a 14 degree pond. I caught each one in a bucket then put the bucket in a big cooler filled with pond water for a hour then let them go into the cooler for another hour then into the pond and they loved it and were swimming and spawning all over the place and chasing the little ones. Once the last fish was in the pond it rained for two days 65 some mm and dropped my pond temp to a wopping 7 degrees over the course of two days. and its rained just about everyother day for the last two weeks. Not fun but my temps have leveled out at about 11 degrees and fish are pretty active some what mostly at night when the lights are on. All seem to be doing good accept one, been home all weekend and notice that hes doing some flashing but only at night and only a couple times. I've been feeding them just a very little bit the past couple of days because they have totally destroyed my plants and seem to be hungry and they all eat and want to eat more. its suppose to be in the 20s this week and no rain which i highly doupt because the weather man is never right, but should i be looking into a heater or just let nature take its course. The fish were in a state of hibernation last week for sure but are doing much better and is the flashing just do to extreme temp changes? And i will answer the question that everybodys probally wonder after reading this. And thanks for reading will get finished project pics tonight with good camera and not my phone if sunny

GH 120
KH 80
PH 7.5 did drop down to 7 at one point added ph up
NO2 .5
NO3 0 did spike once at 20 for a day or so
This is over a two week period testing everyday with api 5 in 1 strips(not the best i know i just got a pile of them) Thanks again and will have pics soon when ever the sun decides to shine when i'm at home

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Why did you feel you needed the wood side the water will hold the dirt back .Koi love to destroy plants ,they are bored and like to root in the pots also .Just there nature and as they get bigger they get worse .I think koi will eat until they explode .Remember the more you feed the more wastes they will produce and water quality will suffer .Rain is a blessing but can mess up the ponds balance a little .Welcome to the world of ponding .

Reaction score
That's the exact same shape as the pond I dug this spring. I like it. Does seem kind of weird to bury wood though, unless that was totally loose soil, seems kind of like burying $5 bills in your backyard. I would really like to see the pond with water in it, from the hole it looks like it's really beautiful.

Reaction score
Thanks all, and of course its a raining this morning so no pics. And the reason being for the wood is the rock are all pretty much dry stacked and did not trust them. I'm also a contractor so the wood was free but the left over icf blocks wernt and were like using those 5 dollar bills as a underlayment i forgot to put in lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The water should hold loose soil back shear weight of the water against the sidewalls .I used concrete block to build up my sides .I could not make it much bigger septic tank on one side and covered front porch and sidewalk on the other sides .The bigger it is the harder it is to maintain and for me that was important .Remember all water is going to change over time as waste from fish and elements of nature take there toll .Also you will need bigger pumps and bigger filters .Right now I have 2 filters going and a 2900 gph pump and a 2150 gph pump .I use a 300 gph on the 300 gallon stock tank

Reaction score
Took a couple of more pics but not with the good camera cant find the memory card so there just the good ol phone pics.
My water was all over the place last year brown to green to clear by the end of the year and how much bigger of a pump do you suggest i get cause i will have to replace my skimmer pump cause its very ticky and will probally calf out on me. And filter how much more do i need? thought i had enough with the bakki going in the background. I had small one set up on my tank in the basement for the winter and it worked great.
3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

Reaction score
hello and thank you. Cleaned my filter for the first time last night she was pretty dirty from all that rain washing stuff into the pond and i also am in the process of changing the water fall because it fills up with pine needles to easy. So after working on it for a bit i have enough liner to build a small bog/veggi filter to get whats left of my plants out of the pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great keeping posting pictures, we will love to follow along on your build

Reaction score
welcome and looks good... did you consider maybe screening to go over waterfalls..elevated so you don't take too much away from waterfalls..maybe pitched so high in front and low in back at top of waterfalls?

Reaction score
Well holy smokes did it get hot here in a hurry, went from avg temps of 15 C to 25+ for the last four days and the pond temp has climbed to 15*C yay fish are very active and very hungry. Two of them are still flashing every once and a while but only at night time when the lights are on. I can't see any spots to if they have ick or not but i salted the pond just in case and see what happends over the next couple of days i plan on adding a drip system for the water change out so hopefully the salt will work its way out with that. Heres a couple of pics of the fish and my veggi filter
6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

Ask a Question