New additions to the pondNew fish in the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I picked up and added two 3 inch koi to my pond.

Here are a couple pictures.

They are the smallest fish in the pond. I'm sure that won't last much past this year. One is pure white (ghost koi), and the other has at least 2 shades to it.

post-3911-0-38170200-1333166346_thumb.jpg

post-3911-0-51914400-1333166351_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• P3060264.JPG
    P3060264.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 332
  • P3060266.JPG
    P3060266.JPG
    27.3 KB · Views: 349

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! the white surely shows up.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nice koi! But please, don't add any more. enjoy the two and I think I saw in your other post you had some goldfish as well. koi get large and they get there fast. Your pond isn't big enough to handle very many. one or two you should be fine if you can keep water quality up. And I can tell you those two will grow on you more and more as they get bigger. So much they will grow you into a bigger pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Nice koi! But please, don't add any more. enjoy the two and I think I saw in your other post you had some goldfish as well. koi get large and they get there fast. Your pond isn't big enough to handle very many. one or two you should be fine if you can keep water quality up. And I can tell you those two will grow on you more and more as they get bigger. So much they will grow you into a bigger pond!

The second pond is in the :collect materials" stage already. I went over the new pond layout with my wife yesterday, and she thinks it will be great to add a 1200- gallon pond to the upper yard. I'm aware of the size of growth that the two if them will have, and by my calculations, the maximum number of full grown koi my system can handle is 3. But the plan is for the second pond to be in place by fall. In cleaning out the muck, I found the 3 ft deep section the previous owner had told me was there so there is more room that I had previously stated. That said, I still need to keep moving on the new pond project. .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The white one has disappeared over night.. It was ther swimming an inch or two below the surface last night around 11 PM, and no where to be found today. He has always been shy but I've looked in and behind all the places I could think of in my little pond. I'm really sad about it as the fish was stunning. The white was almost metalic, it it shimmered as it swam. The other new one is still i there, but hiding more.

My water level has droped a good 4 inches since I installed the new waterfall. I can't find a leak, but I'm still worried.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry you lost the white one natbla. Sometimes the lighter fish are the first to be spotted by predators. You might need a net over them or screen depending on the predator.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry you lost the white one natbla. Sometimes the lighter fish are the first to be spotted by predators. You might need a net over them or screen depending on the predator.

IT was a crow I think. There was one at the bird feeder this moring.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hmmmmmmmm, never thought of crows catching fish but I suppose they are clever enough to stand by the edge and take a stab at a fish and might get lucky.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I may have been wrong about what took the fish. I lost my other koi today. It had been struggling mightily with adapting to the colder water and 10 degree swings in temp in the pond. It ended up for a while resting vertically on its head, and then was not floating when not swimming resting on the bottom . I was oping the water temps would rise enough that I could feed it some peas to see if there was a food problem. I had decided that tonight I was going to try and set up a hospital tank (I don't really have the equipment for it). But when I came home it was gone from the pond. I wonder if the bullfrog could have eaten it or the other one as they are a good inch and 1/2 smaller than the gold fish, and the bull frog is almost 3 times bigger. My guess is that either it died and the frog eat it or the frog got it when the first was not moving in an almost stunned trace I found it this morning as I headed to work.

The parameters of the pond are doing very well, and the Walmart Cat litter seems to be really decreasing small particle algae growth. the cold weather we've had is preventing any feeding but the fish have all been eating the algae growing on the sides. I also am seeing a 10 degree swing in temps in the upper foot of the water (I have a floating pool thermometer now).

SO here's my leasons learned:

1) Buy bigger fish (so that the bullfrog can't get them)
2) Wait for warmer weather so that the water temps improve and won't impact new fish as much
3) Wait until more lilly pads grow so there is more places to be hidden.
4) When a fish is showing signs of distress move to a more climate controlled setting faster (and have the equipment to do it)

Ask a Question