New and confused

Reaction score
Inherited small preformed pond about 150-200 gallons (guess) and an upper pond that spills into the lower pond and its about 30 gallons or so.

8 unknown fish ranging from about 3" to 7" all same variety I'm guessing some kind of Koi but really don't have a clue.

I've read about bio filters and think this is something I really need. All the fish are in the lower pond and seem to be happy as can be.

I'm doing all this in stages as i get the items and time/money/knowledge to do it and I want to make it effecient so I can have happy healthy fish.
I also want to 'see' my fish

Here's what I've done and I'm open for suggestions and critique.
I have the pump in the lower pond with filters that can be hosed off. The pump pushes water into the upper smaller pond where I have added a couple bags of lava rock with the end of the hose under the rocks. This water is very clear but I'm growing algae along the sides and some is very long and stringy now. Is this good or not?
The lower pond water was clear for a few days but is yellowish now. I'm guessing that it needs something but now sure what.. I feed the fish a couple times a day. About 2 or 3 pellets each and the smaller fish gets flakes. Is this too much?

I have a water lettuce that is producing already and added a hyacinth yesterday. The water lilly came with the fish and pond and is blooming.... I love it.

Next concern: Sorry so long......
We've had near 90's the past few days and I'm afraid I'm going to have boiled fish. Hence the umbrella shading the pond somewhat. Summers will be near 100's. What can I do to keep my fish from boiling? I have the water lilly and a couple of rocks they can get under. Will that do any good at all?

I will appreciate any critique and comments and suggestions. This is all new to me but I'm loving every minute of it.

Liz IMG_0920.JPGIMG_0921.JPGIMG_0922.JPGIMG_0927.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
First off if those are koi in that little tiny pond they won't be able to stay in there long as they will grow huge! They will create a mess of poo in there that you will not be able to keep clean as they grow. If you want to keep them you might want to think a lot about digging a bigger BIG pond..............I emphasize big if they are koi. Koi have little whiskers on their heads. Goldfish don't. Either way that pond is going to get quite hot and I'm worried about the fish overheating no matter what you do w/ that tiny pond. I hope you can make a bigger,deeper pond for them soon. You said you inherited the pond and the fish too so I assume they lived there through your hot summers before? If they haven't been through them then they might not make it through if it gets too hot in the pond. Shade is good but the pond being so small I don't know if that will help enough.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have an air stone running will help, as well as your umbrella or some shade cloth over the pond. Agree with jw, if they are koi they will get way to big for the pond.

Reaction score
Have an air stone running will help, as well as your umbrella or some shade cloth over the pond. Agree with jw, if they are koi they will get way to big for the pond.

I think they may be black moors.. How will an air stone help with temperature?.. just curious..

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Get more water hyacinths, they will compete with the algae for food and will shield the water and the fish from the Sun.
Right now your lava rocks are serving as a biofilter but the general consensus is that rocks on the bottom of a pond is not a good idea because eventually they will be clogged up with detritus that will be hard to get rid of. The fact that you have algae growing is proof that your pond bacteria is doing their job in turning waste products into nitrates.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
First off, the fish look like goldfish, so they'll stay smaller than koi would. Secondly, as water heats up it can hold less oxygen than cooler water, so if you see the fish gulping air at the surface, an air stone is a good idea. Having said that, I've seen goldfish kept under far worse conditions, and survive. It's not a bad little pond, with the emphasis on 'little'!
John

Reaction score
Get more water hyacinths, they will compete with the algae for food and will shield the water and the fish from the Sun.
Right now your lava rocks are serving as a biofilter but the general consensus is that rocks on the bottom of a pond is not a good idea because eventually they will be clogged up with detritus that will be hard to get rid of. The fact that you have algae growing is proof that your pond bacteria is doing their job in turning waste products into nitrates.

thanks, definitely want more plants anyway. If I can come up with something to keep the lava rock off the bottom of the little pond would it work well as a biofilter or do I need a way to empty the bottom area from time to time.. I've noticed that the homemade bio filters have 'flushing' valves.. basicly empties the bottom of the bucket..

Reaction score
First off, the fish look like goldfish, so they'll stay smaller than koi would. Secondly, as water heats up it can hold less oxygen than cooler water, so if you see the fish gulping air at the surface, an air stone is a good idea. Having said that, I've seen goldfish kept under far worse conditions, and survive. It's not a bad little pond, with the emphasis on 'little'!
John

Thanks John,
I do have a small fountain and the small waterfall that I'm assuming are adding plenty of oxygen. I haven't seen any fish near the top gulping for air.
thanks for all the help.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My 2 cents ... if it is worth that much, since I am a beginner as well. I am not a veteran by any definition so ignore this as ya desire. This my quick disclaimer :)

High temperature dictates less oxygen in water; in otherwords, water temperature above 90 degrees .. get a thermometer that floats in the water. At these high temps, put in an air stone or air tube diffuser. You can find an air aerator device for 300 gallon aquariums at a chain store like PetsMart. This should be a cheap route until ya decide to put more money into an aerator. I

From what I have read, fish start to "hibernate" when the water temps get above 90 degrees. So slow down on the feeding at these high temperatures or use a different food.

I have a small "pond" as well so I have been reading much about how small water reservoir in full Sun have water quality volatility Mich more than the bigger ponds. So, you might experience problems others might not encounter.

I am going to add a couple floating pond plants. I am hoping this will help add shade to the water thus help reduce the hot temperatures. Also, I am told water circulation will help col down the water such as having a fountain or stream.

My "pond" is quite small as well, about 450 gallons total. It has a stream and waterfall that is under shade, bit the reservoir is on full Sun. The temperature differentiation dems to be be about 10~15 degrees and we get very hot her as well, triple digits. Today it got up to 97 degrees and the water temperature was up to 80 degrees. I need more floating plants or something too add shade or something else to lower the water temperature when it gets 110 degrees here.

For the algae that looks long and stringy, i am told about a 1~2 inch string algae is healthy in streams, but rapid growth indicates pH is increasing as well as nitrates and phosphates. Ya need to get some water quality testing stuff and lol into what the parameters should be.

I hope this helps ya; if not, don't worry cause I will still like ya.

Good luck!!!

Reaction score
My 2 cents ... if it is with that much, since I am a beginner as well. I am not a veteran by any definition so ignore this as ya desire. This my quick disclaimer :)

High temperature dictates less oxygen in water; in otherwords, water temperature above 90 degrees .. get a thermometer that floats in the water. At these high temps, put in an air stone or air tube diffuser. You can find an air aerator device for 300 gallon aquariums at a chain store like PetsMart. This should be a cheap route until ya decide to put more money into an aerator. I

From what I have read, fish start to "hibernate" when the water temps get above 90 degrees. So slow down on the feeding at these high temperatures or use a different food.

I have a small "pond" as well so I have been reading much about how small water reservoir in full Sun have water quality volatility Mich more than the bigger ponds. So, you might experience problems others might not encounter.

I am going to add a couple floating pond plants. I am AOL this will help add shade to the water thus help reduce the hot temperatures. Also, I am told water circulation will help col down the water such as having a fountain or stream.

My "pond" is quite small as well, about 450 gallons total. It has a stream and waterfall that is under shade, bit the reservoir is on full Sun. The temperature differentiation dems to be be about 10~15 degrees and we get very hot her as well, triple digits. Today it got up to 97 degrees and the water temperature was up to 80 degrees. I need more floating plants or something too add shade or something else to lower the water temperature when it gets 110 degrees here.

For the algae that looks long and stringy, i am told about a 1>2 inch string algae is healthy in streams, but rapid growth indicates pH is increasing as well as nitrates and phosphates. Ya need to get some water quality testing stuff and lol into what the parameters should be.

thanks for your reply. I am thinking of making a flower pot biofilter and adding a venturi type tube to add some more 02. Bog or water plants in the top of my flower pot should add a nice touch.
My lettuce and hyacinth are multiplying :)
I also placed oxygenating plants in the large pond where the fish are... I think anacharis.

I haven't seen any fish gulping for air.
thanks again.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Awesome, I hope it helps. By now I have have about a gallon of Dos Equis in me while typing this on a cellphone, lol. So, I hope it makes sense.

Yay!! Cinco de Mayo! :)

Ask a Question