Success!! Looks really, really nice!

Meyer Jordan, Sep 12, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. EricV

EricV

1. Advertisements

3. EricV

EricV

I finally got around to editing two time-lapse videos I took of the whole construction process. A shorter version is first, a longer version for those really interested follows.

EricV, Dec 17, 2016
    DeepWater, j.w, BittenSCW and 5 others like this.
  4. EricV

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Very nice! love how fast you can move in the first video!

addy1, Dec 18, 2016
    sissy likes this.
  5. EricV

Mucky_Waters

There must be some conflicting advice out there, most everything I've read suggests a turnover of 1 to 2 times the pond volume per hour.
    I'm sure that a turnover of 1/2 the volume per hour would be sufficient to keep things alive, but my experience has shown you'd likely have a harder time dealing with algae. Sluggish water circulation tends to encourage algae growth which is the number one biggest complaint of pond owners.

Anyway, you have a nice looking pond there, and I appreciate all the pictures and video. I recognize the extras effort it takes to not only capture those moments while you are busy with the task at hand but then to edit and post them after the fact. Especially when it appears you basically did everything on your own.
    Bravo (y)

Mucky_Waters, Dec 18, 2016
    j.w, morewater, MitchM and 1 other person like this.
  6. EricV

EricV

If only!

EricV, Dec 18, 2016
    barryian likes this.
  7. EricV

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

You do nice work!. Only thing that I would change is to vary the rock size more at the waterfall end of the pond. Too much same size rock.

Meyer Jordan, Dec 18, 2016
    morewater likes this.
  8. EricV

EricV

Thanks. I ran out of larger rocks, so if I get ambitious next summer, I'll see if I can figure out a reasonable way to pull some of the larger ones out and replace them with several smaller ones.

EricV, Dec 19, 2016
    barryian likes this.
  9. EricV

barryian

Nice job! Looks great! What was the actual time from start to finish? and size in gallons?

barryian, Dec 19, 2016
  10. EricV

EricV

I had the tree removed on May 11, the hole dug on May 21. It was around the 1st of August when I put the water in for the 2nd time after re-shaping the pond. And I was doing landscaping into September, I think. I had about 3.5 weeks in there where I was traveling.

I metered it out at about 2500 gallons in the end. My calculations showed it should be over 3000, so shows you how much curves and planting shelves take away! The liner is a 20x25 for the pond and a 10x15 for the waterfall area.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
    EricV, Dec 19, 2016
  11. EricV

barryian

Awesome job! Good luck. You're going to enjoy it! You'll be doing a lot of tweaking and learning! Been ponding 24 years! :)

barryian, Dec 19, 2016
  12. EricV

EricV

Yeah, this years known tasks are to re-do the little retaining wall (so far its just dry stacked), replant some stuff, and finish off the landscaping around the pond. I'm trying to do all native plants and by the time I was ready for them, the selection at the nursery was pretty depleted. And do all the other stuff on the outside of the house that I neglected last summer. :)

EricV, Dec 19, 2016
    barryian likes this.
  13. EricV

Lisak1

I loved watching your video as we are stuck inside with our 18 inch snowpack and subzero temps! Brings back warm (make that BLAZING HOT) memories from our pond build! We built ours in the midst of a long, hot, dry summer. No rain for weeks. Water? What water!?!

I laughed watching the truck dump the boulders in your yard - that's when our neighbors all got REALLLLLY CURIOUS! It took my front yard three years to recover from the beating - of course we repeated that dump about four more times to get enough rock. You NEVER have enough rock! Great memories! And you did great work, by the way. It will only get better from here!

Lisak1, Dec 21, 2016
  14. EricV

EricV

Thanks! Yeah, I think my front yard is mostly recovered already. I got the rocks and boulders off the edges of that pile quickly enough that the grass came back OK. But in the center, it took me weeks to get all the rocks out of there and it had been compacted. So I brought in an inch or so of topsoil.

EricV, Dec 21, 2016
  15. EricV

Lisak1

After the fact we realized a tarp would have been a good idea... I guess I didn't anticipate the amount of gravel that would come with a load of mixed sized boulders. And we had a nice depression in the yard where they dumped (repeatedly) - to the point I started envisioning a nice little front yard pond... haha!

Lisak1, Dec 21, 2016
  16. EricV

Mucky_Waters

LOL The moment I saw that truck dump those rocks I said to myself "there goes that lawn". :facepalm:
    Yes, a tarp and a few sheets of plywood (or OSB) would have saved your lawn.

Mucky_Waters, Dec 21, 2016
  17. EricV

Mucky_Waters

BTW, am I wrong? or do I see you already have a natural pond out behind your backyard there?

18. EricV

EricV

Yes and no. It's a retaining pond, so not natural (used to be a farmers field). But it has water (and a heron) all the time. For quite a while the heron flew over my yard every day and ignored my pond. Then I caught him two days out of three landing in my yard. I need to figure out what to do about this in the spring. I do not like the fine-weave net over my pond. Maybe I need to figure out where @addy1 got her 5" spacing net.

EricV, Dec 21, 2016
  19. EricV

EricV

Well, as long as it took me to get the rocks up (weeks) it would not have saved the grass. It might have prevented some compaction, but that wasn't that bad in the first place. I actually think I made the minimally damaging choice. In fact, I don't think I re-seeded as soon as the rocks were up because it was in the middle of the summer heat. So I had a mosaic of good grass and dead grass that at least looked better than a big huge patch of dead. :)

EricV, Dec 21, 2016
  20. EricV

Mucky_Waters

Well yeah, if it took you weeks to move the rocks your lawn most likely would have been toast anyway. But watching the video it looked like you were getting it done a lot faster than that. :p

Herons and nets,,,,, I'm glad I don't have to bother with either of them. My last pond I had a bit of a problem with raccoons and owls fishing in my pond, the herons never found it though. I think mainly because the pond was small enough to not be too obvious, and in the summer the water surface was 75% covered with vegetation which also helped hide it.
    My new pond is about the same size as the old one but also has the advantage of being enclosed in a courtyard with tall 6-8 ft walls. We do have plenty of herons around, I see them flying by all the time following the creek that runs past our house about 200 ft away. They are just far enough away, and the pond is just small and well hidden enough that they can't seem to spot it. So no nets for me.
    However, if the herons ever did find my pond I think I would just change the nature of my pond itself rather then put up nets. Rather than stock the pond with expensive fish that I might grow attached to, I'd just stock the pond with cheap live heron food and enjoy the herons. (y) Gota work with nature sometimes, and watching a heron in your backyard doing it's thing seems more appealing to me then looking at a bunch of fish netting strung all over the place.
    But that's just me. Opinions may vary. :whistle:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MitchM and EricV like this.
    1. Advertisements