New backyard pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
It's a water garden. Plants and goldfish.

Sorry - I didn't read through, just skimmed and missed that. Completely different scenario! We dedicated koi people can get carried away! ;-) ... Good luck! Nice size pond and nice layout!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice! love how fast you can move in the first video!

Reaction score
This pump capacity thing is where I see really conflicting advice. Most everything I've seen suggests half to 1 times the full volume of the pond per hour. But I see you constantly recommend twice. Can you explain? Is this a difference between a heavily loaded koi pond and a lightly to moderately loaded water garden?

Thanks!
There must be some conflicting advice out there, most everything I've read suggests a turnover of 1 to 2 times the pond volume per hour.
I'm sure that a turnover of 1/2 the volume per hour would be sufficient to keep things alive, but my experience has shown you'd likely have a harder time dealing with algae. Sluggish water circulation tends to encourage algae growth which is the number one biggest complaint of pond owners.

Anyway, you have a nice looking pond there, and I appreciate all the pictures and video. I recognize the extras effort it takes to not only capture those moments while you are busy with the task at hand but then to edit and post them after the fact. Especially when it appears you basically did everything on your own.
Bravo (y)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I finally got around to editing two time-lapse videos I took of the whole construction process. A shorter version is first, a longer version for those really interested follows.

You do nice work!. Only thing that I would change is to vary the rock size more at the waterfall end of the pond. Too much same size rock.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You do nice work!. Only thing that I would change is to vary the rock size more at the waterfall end of the pond. Too much same size rock.

Thanks. I ran out of larger rocks, so if I get ambitious next summer, I'll see if I can figure out a reasonable way to pull some of the larger ones out and replace them with several smaller ones.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
There must be some conflicting advice out there, most everything I've read suggests a turnover of 1 to 2 times the pond volume per hour.
I'm sure that a turnover of 1/2 the volume per hour would be sufficient to keep things alive, but my experience has shown you'd likely have a harder time dealing with algae. Sluggish water circulation tends to encourage algae growth which is the number one biggest complaint of pond owners.

Anyway, you have a nice looking pond there, and I appreciate all the pictures and video. I recognize the extras effort it takes to not only capture those moments while you are busy with the task at hand but then to edit and post them after the fact. Especially when it appears you basically did everything on your own.
Bravo (y)
Thanks. I ran out of larger rocks, so if I get ambitious next summer, I'll see if I can figure out a reasonable way to pull some of the larger ones out and replace them with several smaller ones.

Nice job! Looks great! What was the actual time from start to finish? and size in gallons?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I had the tree removed on May 11, the hole dug on May 21. It was around the 1st of August when I put the water in for the 2nd time after re-shaping the pond. And I was doing landscaping into September, I think. I had about 3.5 weeks in there where I was traveling.

I metered it out at about 2500 gallons in the end. My calculations showed it should be over 3000, so shows you how much curves and planting shelves take away! The liner is a 20x25 for the pond and a 10x15 for the waterfall area.

Last edited:

Ask a Question