new be

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, my name is ericka and I'm new tot he post. i live in nuevo mexico near Albuquerque. I bought a house with a lovely pond and I'm learning all about ponds. I found info here last summer and built a filter with a pump, quilt batting and a old milk crate. Its going fine. I had too many fish though and got a lot of string alge. Now we just have frog that moved themselves in. I think my dog got some of the fish 9 she uses the pond to kill birds, a kitty bell stopped that).
So now I am trying to repot a bunch of hardy lilies.
I'm a bit concerned that a few don't seem to have a growth point but the rhizomes look good.
Any suggestions?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, Ericka! @addy1 might be able to help with the lily question.

Tell us a little bit about your pond: how big is it, how deep? And if your dog hasn't gotten the fish, how many and what size fish do you have? What kind of temperatures do you have there?

We would love to see pictures of your pond! I'll bet you have unique conditions there in New Mexico, with totally different landscaping [or pondscaping] needs than most of us have -- please share with us!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Ericka, Good luck with your pond. New Mexico is really pretty. I was in Santa Fe last year. I never have problems with water lilies. I put the planters at the bottom of my pond which is about 4 ft deep and they love it there and throw up lots of leaves and occasionaly some pretty flowers.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm a bit concerned that a few don't seem to have a growth point but the rhizomes look good.

This time of year they should have some leafs, etc coming out of them. When you say no growth point is the tuber just a tuber with no growth?

and welcome to our group!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome, Ericka! @addy1 might be able to help with the lily question.

Tell us a little bit about your pond: how big is it, how deep? And if your dog hasn't gotten the fish, how many and what size fish do you have? What kind of temperatures do you have there?

We would love to see pictures of your pond! I'll bet you have unique conditions there in New Mexico, with totally different landscaping [or pondscaping] needs than most of us have -- please share with us!
I'll get some pict on here soon. I just switched from a microsoft computer to apple going well but having to learn new tricks. So,my pond is about 12' by 4' kindness shape with a pond liner waterfall and s moss rocked. we have big source behind it that drops needles. The ends have a shallow area. it has a big skimmer thingy (tech term). The deep end is about 40" is. General does not freeze in the winter because of the sun. I sink all the plant over the winter. I got a bunch of cannas and callas from a dumpster behind Lowes and they are looking good! repotted in native soil with gravel and kentucky ball clay mixed in ( I'm a potter), the soil here is weird its volcanic ash sand and granite dust. This is a rift valley. I'm near the Snadia Tram base ( live cam website if anybody wants to look). The weather here is volatile, really volatile . It can snow, and then be 70plus degrees the same day. It can snow at my house and be nice 2 miles away and vise versa. In summer we have monsoons ( cool mornings, as the temperature rises big thunderheads form and then it pours rain with gust winds and usually by sunset its beautiful and we can eat outside.
I did repot the water lilies my kid could see some growth bumps that my old eyes couldn't. Some of them are coming back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucaryan

Latest Threads