New Bigger Bog

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We took out the preform that we used for a bog and made a bigger one made of cement blocks. We are going to put a liner in it. I am racking my brains trying to figure out how to clean it. The preform, we added bulkheads for the water coming in and for a drain. We are going to run PVC up the side for the water going in to it. I was thinking if we put a large PVC pipe down the side, could we put a hose down it and have an external pump, pump the water out? I am going to make a shelf off the floor to put the gravel on. Than the crud would stay on the bottom.

Thoughts ??

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It sounds like it would work to me
Maybe put a long turn 90 on the bottom of the pipe so the suction hose could slide in

Reaction score
First off, warning - this is just the thinking about stage!

So, I'm going to be adding a skimmer and bog to my pond this winter. I'm tinkering around with the idea of putting a 'bottom drain' shower drain type hookup in the bog, with a knife valve that connects to a drain field type holey pipe in my garden. I'm thinking I can use it for both getting the gunk out of the bottom of the bog as well as for fast water changes.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My first two bogs, made out of whiskey barrels, I had a platform for the pea gravel to sit on, a drain coming out the back with a ball valve on it. Off and on, I would open the drain and let it run out. That pond the intake of the water was from the bottom of the pond, the line picked up leaves etc.

The second bog, was more like my maryland pond, medium in size, no drain. It worked for 5-7 years, (can't remember lol) I tore that pond down. Never had an issue with it clogging up.

This pond, the bog is made with just pea gravel on the liner, pvc lines running through it.

a truck load of pea gravel, 2800 lbs or so.

pvc lines with slots cut into them, the T leads out of the bog, there is another T that allows the pump water to go in and the second line will drain the bog if need be, a ball valve.

This is the 4th year of the bog, 3 with fish, around 200. I draw the water not from the true bottom, but about 6 inches up. I don't care to drag in snails, tads, dragon fly nymphs into the pump. So no huge debris makes it into the bog. There is a skimmer that feeds the bog with a large leaf basket and a leaf basket before the pump. Nothing large makes it into the bog.

I have drained it a few times, (working on pipes) clear water comes out. If it ever starts to clog up, I will take a garden hose with a stream nozzle, stick it in the pea gravel to back flush the bog. Did that once while draining last summer, again nothing but clear water, a little dirt color, but nothing dramatic.

When I turn on the bog after sitting all winter, (3-4 months) without running, the water in it is technically stagnant, no water flow and I do not drain the bog. The water never stinks when it first starts flowing, it does murk up the pond a little, but that clears within a few hours. My water tests are never anything but perfect, no algae issues, string, green water nothing, the water stays clear all of the time. No doc issues, ie foam on the water.

It is loaded with plants, tons

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your bog is beautiful. Since we did ours with cement blocks, we are going up and over the blocks for incoming and outgoing water. The preform did a great job, when we tore it out, there was about 3-4 inches of muck on bottom. I leave mine run all year. I don't have to worry about leaves, no trees around. Well, except when we have huge winds. I just hope this works. I love the whole bog idea. It really kept the pond clean.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It would seem I am getting some muck on the bottom, so far, I have only seen clean water come out. If it ever needs cleaning, we have a pressure washer, just stick the nozzle in the pea gravel and back wash it. But at this time working great, until it decides to not work as good it will be left alone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ever since we put that bog in, my pond has been clear. Hard to believe when I seen all that muck and crud when we tore it out. I hope this one does as great of job. Last year, I drained it a few times, a bunch of brown nasty water came out than went clear. I left the pump run while I opened the drain. Doing a water change and cleaning the bog at the same time. I am putting the gravel in now. That is back breaking !! I clean mine before putting it in since mine is a lot smaller than yours. Ordering some plants tonight, the bog should be up and running by this weekend ..... hopefully :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sunshine said:
Ever since we put that bog in, my pond has been clear. Hard to believe when I seen all that muck and crud when we tore it out. I hope this one does as great of job. Last year, I drained it a few times, a bunch of brown nasty water came out than went clear. I left the pump run while I opened the drain. Doing a water change and cleaning the bog at the same time. I am putting the gravel in now. That is back breaking !! I clean mine before putting it in since mine is a lot smaller than yours. Ordering some plants tonight, the bog should be up and running by this weekend ..... hopefully :)
If I have what you want, don't order, will send for shipping. I will post pictures in my photo thread tomorrow of what I have. I need to purge, growing very well this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
addy1 said:
If I have what you want, don't order, will send for shipping. I will post pictures in my photo thread tomorrow of what I have. I need to purge, growing very well this year.
Okay. Will check back tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
addy1 said:
Where is your photo thread?

Ask a Question