New Bog Build

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hello ponders,
Quick question, I got my bog form built and I've pumped water up from the pond. I have a 700 gph pump that is putting out a nice flow to my waterfall through a 3/4" pipe and PVC. I went smaller with the diameter than what I've read most do since my bog is fairly small. How much of a decrease can I expect when I put the gravel in? I saw Rebelangel had a problem with her pump not being able to keep up and now I'm a little worried.

Reaction score
3/4" pipe is choking your flow by a bit. It's only reccomended for 540 gph "efficiently".

As far a the decrease from adding gravel you mentioned, not sure what you mean, but I bet I've not read everything you've posted about this in other threads.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I saw that Rebelangel had a problem with her pump not being able to pump, I assumed, water up through the gravel. I went with the 3/4" because that was the adapter off the pump and I was able to use a heavy duty garden hose to get the water from the pond to the bog and then I figured hey why stop now, so I ran it all the way into the bog.
And for some reason, I think after the lift and length the water travels that by the time it gets to the bog it's in that neighborhood.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Personally, I wouldn't cut any corners and just stick with large diameter PVC (flexible if need be, but it costs more). With a large diameter, you'll have lower resistance and you can upgrade your pump later if you need to. I don't know how much resistance your gravel will add, but perhaps not much. Could you put a larger diameter PVC at the bottom of your bog, "adapt" your 3/4" to the larger stuff, then try it out? If flow is too low you can switch to larger PVC, and if that doesn't work, get a bigger pump - but, at least you won't have to dig up your bog. (I would use 1.5" at least, but I like wide pipes.)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You may need to double the size of the pump ,i think you said you were splitting it off to something else .It all depends on head which is the height of the water it is pumping and then you add for the length of the hose itself .700 gph is not much .You could just add another pump if need be .

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks guys, I am a little worried about the diameter but since it won't be deep, I think I have to at least try it as is and hope for the best. The bog isn't that large so worse case I dig it out and start over. I knew most people used the 1 1/2 - 2" diameter pipe but it looked so huge in my wee bog.
And sissy, I have a splitter so I can turn off the bog and use the pond water to water flowers, otherwise it will all be going to the pond.
I'll update when I fill with the gravel.

Aaron S

K5ATG
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm not sure that the gravel in the bog will effect it enough to slow down your pump. The size of the pipe and the size and number of the holes where the water escapes from the pipe would have more effect than the gravel would. Once the gravel is in and the pipe is buried, then the pipe won't look too small:)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's what I'm hoping Aaron. I'm happy with the flow over the waterfall now and my thinking was, once the water makes it's way up through the gravel, it will continue to flow at the same rate. We will see if my sciencey theory matches my actual results.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It probably will be fine, if not just change it out, called a redo...............something we have all done more than once.

Ask a Question