New Bog In The Neighborhood

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Our neighbors across the road had come over to visit a few times through the course of the summer and were very curious about our bog. I explained the theory, and they saw the results in our pond. They have a natural pond on their property and asked would a bog help their pond. I explained from a beginner's standpoint that it certainly wouldn't hurt and they had a gorgeous setting for a bog. I suggested they could create a substantial waterfall, and a beautiful stream for a return. (How did I know the "They" would turn into "We"?) Water loss is not an issue for them because ultimately it goes back to the pond regardless of the route it takes.
I didn't get early pictures of the construction, but here's a few of where we are now. (The bog is about 20 vertical feet above the pond, and from the berm of the bog to the pond is about 60 feet horizontally.) The supply lines to the bog appear small, but are two 10' lengths of pipe with holes every 6" on the underside (at angles). The supply line will only be 1 1/2" diameter piping, so there wasn't any reason to make the bog pipes any bigger.
DSC01841.JPG DSC01842.JPG DSC01844.JPG DSC01864.JPG DSC01868.JPG
It's hard to tell, but the photo below is looking straight down from the deck of the tree house to an old section of foundation from ions ago. This will provide the foundation for the waterfall, then we'll landscape the brook out to the pond.
DSC01847.JPG

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Good luck!

Constructed wetlands filters for earthen-bottom ponds require considerable maintenance.
Earthen ponds usually have a higher level of TSS (Total Suspended Solids) than their lined counterparts. This results in a high rate of disposition of silt, organics, soil particles etc. in the wetlands filter (bog). This will result in more frequent clogging and water channeling plus the ongoing filling-in of the wetlands filter by the deposited silt and suspended soil particles. Complete clean-outs will likely be required when the wetlands filter (bog) no longer functions.

The PondFather

The PondFather with my Grandson enjoying my pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I agree with Meyer Jordan if he's right about the TSS of the lower pond. Consider a partitioned bog where the water first enters on one end and overflows or moves laterally over to a second bog section. That way the initial bog area will capture most of the dirt and you can add a cleanout pump to that area of the bog for more frequent back-flushing/cleanouts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Point taken.
Perhaps it may be a better idea for us to bend the bog into a true water garden with potted water lilies, and a variety of potted water plants on shelves/tables and just plan on an annual clean out. The area is high enough that it would siphon out very well, and during that process we could "vacuum" out the silt that accumulated. If we put in just enough pea gravel to cover the supply lines, would this be sufficient to trap most of the TSS and allow a relatively clear water basin? This would also create a more attractive bottom, and I'm guessing just raking it out in the fall while siphoning (and pumping clean water in,) would clean it pretty well. The owner has stated that after a rain the lower pond has gotten muddy from run off. During those periods the pump could remain off to prevent too much TSS from getting pumped in. They have no desire for keeping fish, and whatever lives in the lower pond just shows up naturally, mostly frogs and toads with an occasional turtle.
Thoughts on this approach?

The PondFather

The PondFather with my Grandson enjoying my pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Larger ponds like your neighbor has really benefit from a Skimmer Cove. These setups capture the leaves as the pumps are in a section of the pond blocked off with something like sandbags. The water supplying the pump(s) is forced over a shallow weir created by the sandbags, which pulls debris from the entire surface of the pond into one area for manageable cleanout. The PondSquad just did one of these for Dr. Pol, the Michigan vet on Animal Planet. A UTube video from The PondSquad will be published in the next couple of weeks I'm guessing. Here's a video by Garden State Koi of a Skimmer Cove they built using rocks: I agree using plants in the bog filter is essential but feel the pipe to create upflow through the gravel will be hard to maintain. Check out the Dr. Pol video for how they pumped the water from his pond into the bog filter. or you can call Tom Smith at Garden State Koi. He was at the Dr. Pol build by the way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi Sissy, theoretically most will just flow over the waterfall, and what don't will be dealt with during maintenance and the clean out. I've put an inexpensive net over my pond and it has saved a lot of work. When the leaves are done, we'll use the leaf blower to move them away then remove the net before the water freezes. The neighbors may do this next fall.
Pondfather, thank you for the video and info. I'll do some research along those lines as well.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
What is the main reason for installing a wetlands filter? It will do little to promote water clarity and, beings that there is no fish or plans to add any, water quality is not an issue either.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What is the main reason for installing a wetlands filter? It will do little to promote water clarity and, beings that there is no fish or plans to add any, water quality is not an issue either.

Primarily as a focal point of interest from the tree house, and to add a little interest to an otherwise "blank canvass". The ravine, partial foundation, and upper flatter area was there, and the owners wanted to capitalize on the potential.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Primarily as a focal point of interest from the tree house, and to add a little interest to an otherwise "blank canvass". The ravine, partial foundation, and upper flatter area was there, and the owners wanted to capitalize on the potential.

If the aim is primarily aesthetic, this can be accomplished for considerably less money than the installation of a wetlands filter.

Ask a Question