New bog. What a difference!

Ron

Reaction score
Well I really got tired of all of the algae and decided to try a bog to help battle the mess. The pond has no shade and the 4 falls that cause the algae problem. Lots of ideas were considered before I decided on the bog filter.

DSC_2189.JPG

This all started on Thursday of last week and the son and I did all of the labor.

DSC_2215.JPG

The final size ended up being 22' long x 9' wide x 3' deep.

DSC_2220.JPG

Used an 18" cleanout at the end of a 6" piece of double wall with slots cut in it every 6" along the length of it.
DSC_2221.JPG

I used about 24" of 2-4" river rock on the bottom and then added another 10" of pea sized gravel on the top.

DSC_2239.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow very nice! That looks wonderful. I just love my bog, makes pond care so easy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
OMG, Is that a park or a golf course? Your pond is bigger than our whole yard and your bog is twice the size of my pond. Everything looks great. Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Wow great job. I love my tiny bog already, you will love yours!

Ron

Reaction score
Like your alligator!
Yeah that alligator helps to keep the heron away. I came home from work one night to find the real heron sitting beside my decoy! That is when I decided to give the decoy heron some help. I have already lost one liner due to an overzealous bird.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I had floating gators, it was a real dry summer, the heron finally decided to ignore it jumped over the fishing line I had surrounding the pond, tangled its feet, did a nose dive into the water. I was laughing so hard at it...............
I had mine on a long piece of fishing line constantly moving in the wind.
Now just have a large weave net high over the water, since I put it up the heron has not come back for a visit this is the second summer of that net.
We have herons fly right over our pond daily, we are in their flight path, nesting area to feeding grounds They even pause and look down, but keep going.

Ask a Question