New boy in town!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my pond is quite small and shallow about 500 gallons and 18" deep. I have 10 fish most of which are twenty years old! Can someone please tell me what is the growth that is trying to block my pump? It is very hard and has spread all over the pump in a spider like way. The only way to clean the pump is to take it out and let it dry for a week or so and then the stuff needs scraping off as it is so hard. Any ideas please? Thanks, Rob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When it is dry you can spot small bumps which I assume are the actual creatures responsible. They are like wheat husks when dry but have to be literally scraped off like coral. This is not slime which I always assumed algae was.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When it is dry you can spot small bumps which I assume are the actual creatures responsible. They are like wheat husks when dry but have to be literally scraped off like coral. This is not slime which I always assumed algae was.
Could it be mineral deposits from the water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have actually cleaned it all off now but when it grows again I will post pic. It must be alive if it spreads and reproduces!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have actually cleaned it all off now but when it grows again I will post pic. It must be alive if it spreads and reproduces!
No idea, but if it comes back, please do get pictures. Also, why not do an Internet search and see what you come up with. When you do, look at "images" instead of links. Sometimes it's easier for me to scoot through a bunch of pictures where I can match it instead of reading through all the links. You might have things there where you are that we don't have here.

Ask a Question