New Build - Liner Sizing Question w/ 1/2 Bog 1/2 Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am building a 6'x12' pond which is basically a rectangle with very rounded corners. The deepest point will be 3' (If I can dig through that much clay!) with a bottom drain. There will be an 18" shelf.
Roughly half the pond (6' x 6') will be a 1' deep bog. The bog will be walled with stone which will allow water flow to the pond area.
Side Question -- for the bog water return should it be near the edge or in the center?
Here's the main question - the liners calculate using the deepest point (3') and say I need 15'x20' liner... But since the bog is such a big part, I am sure I don't need the 20' - how much could I shorten it?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I have my bog flowing back in around 1/3 of the way from the pump intake. That is the waterfall, but along the entire bog wall it dribbles back into the pond. Get a lot of water movement that way.

Side Question -- for the bog water return should it be near the edge or in the center?

The minimum I get with calculators is 14 x 20. Don't short cut the liner size ow you will be regretting it down the road.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know on all the videos on you tube never show a small wetland off to the side of a pond. They are there to make money and be creative. some of the areas most who see the pond like the most is those areas where there was a lot of rubber left. one area became a small pond above the waterfall that allowed for a second small waterfall.
A second area is 6 inches deep that was partially filled with sand and peat moss for pitcher plants and live sphagnum. placing little pockets with the rubber behind the rock edging allowing the pond or stream to flow under the rock tothe pocket making for softening the edges with a bog plant. oh one last thought make your sides in the bog higher then you may be thinking if I had to do it again they wouljd be 8 Inches high above water line . the plants act as straws both in the summer and fall when they die. and it's amazing how many ways water can escape.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't have a bog but:
1585752847949.gif
@Crimedog

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
For your liner you might want to try a local roofing company as they sell the same kind of liner that pond stores sell. Or an irrigation company. I have used both places for liners. Just lay it out on your grass or driveway and rinse it off w/a hose real well and it is good to go. I bought at those places as they were cheaper and we hauled it home in our truck. I used old carpeting w/out the tacks in it and blankets etc. anything soft to lay down as protection under the liner. Pumps and such I bought online, mostly from Webb's pond supplies or you could compare w/Amazon etc. but Webb's usually has pretty good prices. I like Laguna brand pumps for lower power consumption myself.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks - I went ahead and ordered my liner and drain from Webb's (It came with underlayer and was still less than what I have found locally.)
I have a pump I bought 10 years ago - it is a Pacific Hydrostar 550 gal external. It will run, but I have not been able to get it to draw water.
I am attaching a picture of my dig so far.
12 x 6  pond.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm looking forward to following your build. I've read good things about bogs that are actually indie the pond, so will be interested in how yours does.

We have a small bog, we built last Fall. We worked with space constrictions as it's a add on to an existing pond. We ordered our liner and under payment from Webbs too, could't beat there price and their customer service is excellent !

Reaction score
Country
United States
Liner and drain should come in Tuesday - everything is dug except the line for the drain - I have a well on the side that my vortex chamber will go in. It will be gravity fed so the vortex chamber water level will be the same as the pond.
I am thinking that once I get the chamber plumbed, I am going to fill the well it is in with pea gravel so it doesn't fill up with rain water and ground water.
I will pump out of the vc and split 1/2 to bog and half to bio filter that feeds into a waterfall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Question - when calculating the volume of the pond - don't include the bog area (6x6x1) correct?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Starting my settling tank - had to diy bulkheads.

Attachments

• ED0EA7D8-F635-48D0-B1A1-00615AFB6A67.jpeg
    ED0EA7D8-F635-48D0-B1A1-00615AFB6A67.jpeg
    18.3 KB · Views: 107
  • EB68729E-1426-4E28-9CF9-A8904A0BF845.jpeg
    EB68729E-1426-4E28-9CF9-A8904A0BF845.jpeg
    19.3 KB · Views: 104
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe you only get a third the column of water in a bog but not positive

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Question - when calculating the volume of the pond - don't include the bog area (6x6x1) correct?

It depends on WHY you're calculating the pond volume... if you have to dose the pond for any reason you'd definitely want to know how much water your bog holds.

Welcome to the GPF!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have a thing called a water saver I got from Amazon for about $20. It's a digital water meter that screws onto the end of your garden hose. Use something like that when you initially fill your pond/bog. This way you know exactly how many gallons it all holds. No guessing.

I'm on central (treated) water. So whenever I have to add any water, I know exactly how much dechlorinizing conditioner to use.

Ask a Question