New build need Ideals for equipment

Reaction score
Hello all...

I am planning to start building a half above ground and below ground pond out of landscape timbers. Pond will be 2.5' above and 2.5' below and 7.4' ID square for a total gal approximately 2000 gal. I will be using a DIY tank filter or two 55 gal drums, also a small cal pond skimmer that sits inside the pond. I need suggestions and knowledge on what type and GPH pump or pumps to use. I also thought of using a retro bottom drain. I don't plan on starting till the end of January or middle of February.

Thank you

Zipper
"Scouts Out"

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Zipper said:
Yea its a squirel and a BMG 50... It is kinda small isn't it...

cute!

They recommend turning over the pond water every 1 to 1.5 hours. So base some of your calculations on that. Also figure out the head you might need, for the filters, any water fall etc.

Reaction score
I am not very clear on the head calculation. The mesurement of head is that from the pump to say filter or from the surface of the water to the filter? I need to run the filter and skimmer so I was thinking of getting the calpump 4000 gph torpedo pump and running both from that pump and then maybe another 1000-1500 gph for cerculation. Could I run a Tee from the intake of the calpump with one drawing off the floor of the pond and the other drawing from the skimmer then that running to the filter?

Reaction score
Ok thanks Dr. Dave! Do you think the pump I plan on using will be ok with splitting the intake? I would like to get it right the first time... lol

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I may not be the best person to ask since I don't use BD or Skimmers. However, if you tee the output, make sure you put a ball valve on each so you can regulate the flow.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I teed my skimmer and bottom drain on my other pond, and also doing it on this one. Used ball valves to control the flows for each. Works great for directing the flow where you need it the most.

Reaction score
Thanks on all the good advice... One more thing can you all give me some names of good solid pumps that are worth the money? I'm having a hard time making a smart choice...

Thanks,

Zipper
"Scouts Out"

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
dragon, expensive but good My dragon in az has been running for around 6-7 years now
sequence
evolution
It sort of depends on what you need and what fits. I go for low power use.

Ask a Question