New Build

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just finished my first pond build ever (aside from filtration, waterfall and wiring). It’s dug into the ground about a foot and a half and built up with 2 treated pine 4x4’s, total depth is a little less than 2.5 feet. Capped with cedar 1x6 boards. Length is 9 feet width is 6 feet. Firestone 45 mil EPDM liner.

For stocking, I plan on Shubunkins and Sarasa goldfish. I’m still looking into cold hardy plants to add very soon.

Let me know what you think or any suggestions!

Attachments

• F35403DD-53E5-40BA-A6F0-590C6E9A7755.jpeg
    F35403DD-53E5-40BA-A6F0-590C6E9A7755.jpeg
    380.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 1875004B-F563-4539-B998-C5A3B59A8728.jpeg
    1875004B-F563-4539-B998-C5A3B59A8728.jpeg
    412.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 355EC3F0-D868-45BB-8E17-3DD52204BE5C.jpeg
    355EC3F0-D868-45BB-8E17-3DD52204BE5C.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 161
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nice! Well done!
Read as much as you can here on this forum. Ask any questions. We are a friendly bunch.
If I would have known better, I would have done a bog filter from the start. I've wasted so much time, energy and money on commercial and homemade filters. Bog filters are far superior and pretty much zero maintenance.
You are handy and can still do it. Build another smaller section next to that one (30% of your pond's surface.) and let it spill into the bigger one. Look up bog building. There are some great threads on the subject.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome . looks like a nice pond you go there. i have to agree with bog filtration it's doing right by me thats for sure. Am i see space underneath those 4x4's in a couple corners? be careful mother nature can use that to her advange and create problems for you

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nice! Well done!
Read as much as you can here on this forum. Ask any questions. We are a friendly bunch.
If I would have known better, I would have done a bog filter from the start. I've wasted so much time, energy and money on commercial and homemade filters. Bog filters are far superior and pretty much zero maintenance.
You are handy and can still do it. Build another smaller section next to that one (30% of your pond's surface.) and let it spill into the bigger one. Look up bog building. There are some great threads on the subject.
The threads here and the few questions I’ve asked so far have helped vastly. Thank you for the words of encouragement. I have considered a bog filter. I know the basics of what it entails, I even have enough leftover liner to construct one. I have run into a few problems with it though.

Firstly, I’m not sure how I would extend a waterfall from the bog to the pond without a leak. I would prefer to not have just a bulkhead with a pipe, I think that would take away from the aesthetic of the pond. I have seen images of bogs that I love the look of, but I really don’t know how I would get a waterfall to the pond from the bog. Do you have any suggestions for that? I’ll attach a picture of what I’m talking about. I don’t know how this guy made the waterfall without leaks through the liner. Thanks again for your advice.

Attachments

• 1A44DEDE-885C-49FD-B618-B2F428E32D8E.png
    1A44DEDE-885C-49FD-B618-B2F428E32D8E.png
    201.3 KB · Views: 114
Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome . looks like a nice pond you go there. i have to agree with bog filtration it's doing right by me thats for sure. Am i see space underneath those 4x4's in a couple corners? be careful mother nature can use that to her advange and create problems for you

Thanks a lot! I am definitely still considering the bog, although I have purchased a tetrapond waterfall filter and pressure filter with UV. If I figure out the bog I can always return them. As I stated in my last reply, I’m confused by the logistics of a waterfall extending from the bog to the pond. I can’t seem to wrap my head around how that is done, and searching threads for days has left me with no answers.

And yes, there is very little space in some spots. I tried to get it as level as possible, but I wasn’t too worried as very little weight is being put on the 4x4’s. I figured since most of the pond is in the ground that the 4x4’s would be relatively safe just sitting there. Massive mistake? Is there any way I can correct that space without deconstructing the whole thing? Maybe shove some sand in there? What sort of Mother Nature issues are you referring to? Thanks a lot for your advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If your bog overhangs the pond a little bit, the bog water will dump into the pond. You don't have to construct the bog exactly like that picture you posted. The falls can be a notch on the top edge. You can have a short metal or wooden extension weir sticking out of the falls for a more pleasing effect. You can seal the weir with PL S30 roofing sealant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If your bog overhangs the pond a little bit, the bog water will dump into the pond. You don't have to construct the bog exactly like that picture you posted. The falls can be a notch on the top edge. You can have a short metal or wooden extension weir sticking out of the falls for a more pleasing effect. You can seal the weir with PL S30 roofing sealant.
In that case, do you stick some of the liner into the metal/wood extension to allow the water to flow out? Then somehow seal the liner in the waterfall?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put a small flower box bog on my hot tub pond. The piping went into the bottom, the edge was cut for the water fall. It was placed so any "leaks" just went right back into the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I put a small flower box bog on my hot tub pond. The piping went into the bottom, the edge was cut for the water fall. It was placed so any "leaks" just went right back into the pond.

Just came across this thread. This design looks fantastic. What do you guys think? https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/elevated-bog-pond.24730/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can have the liner wide enough to seal around where the weir is connected to the wood. Use the PL S30 to adhere the liner to surrounding areas of the seams. And as addy said, since your bog overhangs your pond, if there are any "leaks", it will just drip into the pond anyway.
You can use any material you want for the weir. Aluminum, plastic, wood, whatever you can get that you can shape to your desire.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine was just a small plastic planter, perched on the edge of the hot tub pond. Any leaks went right back into the pond.
That thread is a real nice build.

Ask a Question