New Butterfly Koi in established pond - question about eating

Reaction score
All of our old (14-15y/o) koi died a few winters ago - and after some procrastinating, we finally got new fish last weekend! Pond is 3500 gal - i did a thorough de-mucking back in the spring, have maintained beneficial bacteria, etc and added plants.

Added 4 butterfly koi on Sunday after ensuring for the week prior that water conditions were solid with my test kit. They started by basically hiding under two cover-rocks i have at the very bottom center of the pond, and after a day or so began venturing out to explore a bit. We are of course only observing them so many minutes out of the day, so I imagine they may be exploring more when we're not there.

My question is about their diet - I have sprinkled a bit of food each day, and it does seem to attract their attention (they will peek out from under their rock more) but none of them has swam up to the surface to eat. Of note, we have a fair amount of string algae adherent to our rocks - which has been diminishing since the new fishies arrived. SO...I just want to know if you folks think I should be concerned about the fact that they aren't eating "koi food" yet - are they ok to just eat the algae as they get acclimated to the pond?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I wouldn't worry too much, especially if they're eating algae. Maybe sit by the pond quietly each evening, letting them get used to your presence.

Reaction score
They are fine to eat the algae. They are still pretty shy I'm sure and getting used to their new "digs". If you are putting food in and they aren't eating it, I would make sure to scoop it out.
thanks - yes i'm taking it out of the skimmer box once it goes over them :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My fish took forever to follow me around for food. It may take a year.

Meyer is right to caution you to check ammonia and nitrites... do some water changes for 6 weeks just incase.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What is a normal reading?
I wonder what normal is..... I read about people with zero ammonia..... Hmmmpf don't think it's possible in a Koi pond..... Went crazy testing while my pond was cycling...... But now just watch my fish, they will tell you what is going on...... Still test every couple of weeks but always the same ammonia yellow with a slight tinge of green, nitrates fine.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I learned that making them learn to hand feed comes down to patience and trust .All my fish hand feed but it took awhile after the dogs fell in the pond for them to get back to normal .Last night and the night before I have had a bunny problem now .I saw them on the security cameras trying to get a drink and had to go out and take my cement leaves I made out to some of the gardens and fill them with water .I took the remade dish and direct tv dish's out also and filled them with water .I hope this solves the bunny problem.The more your fish see you the better it will be and the more they will come to trust you .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
IMG_6646.PNG
I learned that making them learn to hand feed comes down to patience and trust .All my fish hand feed but it took awhile after the dogs fell in the pond for them to get back to normal .Last night and the night before I have had a bunny problem now .I saw them on the security cameras trying to get a drink and had to go out and take my cement leaves I made out to some of the gardens and fill them with water .I took the remade dish and direct tv dish's out also and filled them with water .I hope this solves the bunny problem.The more your fish see you the better it will be and the more they will come to trust you .
Yep

Ask a Question