New creation

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So I’m redoing my pond. Currently it’s an above ground pool, a big circular one. I’ll update here what I’m doing, what I see I need, etc, to turn one pop up pool, into a mostly submerged pond.
The new pond is going in on the circle of our drive. My plan is to make a kidney shape, add an elevated bog in the western 1/3, with three levels of water in the pond. I’m planning each shelf to be about 12” wide, going from 12” deep, to 30” deep, to around 4’ deep, which is a drop of 18” from first to second shelf, then second to bottom. This spot is near trees, and I’m out in the country, and so I need some kind of awning to screen the pond from leaves, herons, and random other predatory birds. I’ll be making a short wall, and have the sides of the pond raised above ground level due to potential spring flooding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
A60478A2-A863-403B-8C63-576A33BC2D31.jpeg
0A70FC54-D387-4E42-9C2B-78D3629663F3.jpeg
07FDEB96-C00C-4E49-BF6F-F8109FB1D9B4.jpeg
7E88ED04-0D15-4425-951D-195FC79A35EC.jpeg
This is the pool as it is. Where I decided to move it, and the progress I’ve made.
My plan is to dig it by hand, I’ve no clue just what my water volume will be. I’m going to try to use the pool as my pond liner, but if it won’t work, then I’ll go get a new liner. My idea is that the new pond is smaller than the pool in width, but close in length, so I should have enough material to keep about 1’ above ground level. Once it’s in place, I’ll build a wall around it, to sit on, keep dogs out, and prevent fish loss if it does flood. I know I’ll need a better pump, im thinking a leaf skimmer, plumbing set up to run tge water to the bog, rocks, lots and lots of rocks. More plants! Pea rock for the bog.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’m following your progress so be sure to takes lots of pictures at various stages. Also curious as to how you will make shelves and the bog.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m digging shelves in the dirt , and will lay the liner on top, folding it to fit the curves. I’m building up the bog with the dirt I remove, about 2’ tall, using big clouds of dirt with grass in it like old sod cabin style to make the walls. I’m making the center a bit concave . I’ll need to strengthen it by building the walls bigger, with a broad base to hold the weight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yeah, which is why I’m spacing it out over a year! I’m off tomorrow, then I start my new work schedule, first shift on weekends, then Monday- Wednesday I’ll work second shift, then Thursday and fridays off. Pretty sure I’ll get the assistant manager position, my manager and DM both are sure I’ll do good. I’m catching on, and doing ok. So my pond build may slow down a bit during second shift days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here is the drawing I drew out. It will hopefully come out close to my rough draft. As I plot things out, I see issues I may have, such as needing support for the bogs sides, so the bog may be finished last, with a bigger berm around the sides to support the exterior walls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
63EF2D30-96A8-4272-8B73-1554BA3BB48E.jpeg
9F52B582-8929-44EF-97D8-072AE37C5C02.jpeg
Got called away, forgot to post the drafts. As it’s curved, I can’t get a good measurement of how long the pond is, but it’s 8-9’ wide at the widest part. I’m eyeballing it to be close to 20’ long, so take 1/3rd away for the bog, that’s about 14ish feet. I’ve no clue how the math would work with the different levels in order to gauge water volume I will have, I’m hoping for around 2000gal. At the bottom left corner of the bottom picture, I show a cross section of how I’ll set the shelves up to be concave in order to hold plants better.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Looks good and your pond is about the same size as mine. Somewhere around 2000 gals give or take. I have shelves so it's hard to figure out exactly. Wish I would have put a bog in but too late now. Would not look right for the way I have it set up and I'll just be happy for the way it is. Neat on having a gazebo right next to it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So while I’m away, I’m thinking over aspects of my pond. Such as what plant I want, any features, so on.
I want a lotus! Preferably one of the smaller variety, which I can easily move around. I’m thinking I’ll make a hole in the bog gravel, push the pot in level for light water flow, and then submerge it in the pond for winter. Depending on how big my pond ends up, I may make a shallow side pond just for them! But I’ll wait and not get over ambitious on my plans just yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
A backhoe would make short work of the hole. Then you can fine tune it by hand. I would advise to at least get the hole done, and liner in place as soon as you can. Rain has a tendency to destroy all your hard work, and make more work. Once the liner is in, you can then take your time on the rest of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Back hoes cost money I don’t have, at least till I get the promotion and a good bonus. This is all Hard work/ good exercise, and me time to dig it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Back hoes cost money I don’t have, at least till I get the promotion and a good bonus. This is all Hard work/ good exercise, and me time to dig it.
Have you looked into a rental? That’s what we did (spanning a weekend) and with our geology here, we never could have finished the pond without it.

Ask a Question