New filter for my pond please help

Reaction score
Hello all i am new to this forum so i am hopeing you can help me, I have a 8000l pond that gets full sun and is very heavyly stocked it has Koi, Blue/gold Orf, gold fish and sturgeon x2 etc, All the fish are between 24in and 3in is size so a big variety of fish and size.

i am looking at getting a new filter as the old one i have is haveing some problems, I have found this filter Oase Biotec 10.1 it looks a good filter but i can not find a stockist that has it so i can get my hands on it and have a look for my self, Does any one have one or any experance with one so i can find out how good it is, I have looked at other filter's but this seems to be the best for the money thanks for reading.

http://www.swelluk.com/pond/pond-fi...ter-648.html?gclid=CIfsh7_0nKMCFYGX2Aod2GKbrA

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can't help you with that, but you may want to check the diy section for building filters. There are some good filters you can build pretty cheaply.

the docfilter and skippy filter. The ones that use them say they work great.

Reaction score
addy1 said:
I can't help you with that, but you may want to check the diy section for building filters. There are some good filters you can build pretty cheaply.

the docfilter and skippy filter. The ones that use them say they work great.

Thanks i will have a look

Reaction score
I just made my doc filter. So far I have flushed it out once. I can't tell you much I will enjoy being able to back flush the filter w/o having to pull a filter out of my skimmer box, rinse it out with a flower watering can and put it back in. Now all I do is turn the 2" Ballvalve and all the crap flows right out. I will be hooking up a garden hose to the end of the dump piping so I can get that junk into my veggie garden. My water was already crystal clean but I was changing/cleaning filters 2x a week. Now I will not have to do that. I may even turn the skimmer off now or at least put it on a timer......

Thanks Doc!

Reaction score
addy1 said:
You are welcome, they will help you with any questions about the build. Check out the stickies too about the filters.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/sticky-doc-bio-filter-t4685.html

Sorry if i am way off but i can not see how this type of filter used as a main filter for a pond can filter out all the small particals from the water with out any filltration (ie: sponges)
your uv is there to help with sticking the very small alge particals to gether so your fine sponge can filter them out so how can a filter like that do that job ?

Like i say if i am way off sorry i am still new to all of this

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
With a pond the size of yours, You would need at least 2 - 150 gal stock tank skippy's

Reaction score
Welcome - I recently did a DIY build of the stock tank. I am extremely impressed with the final results. I have 3 layers of matala mats in mine. I highly recommend them if you decide to do a DIY filter.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
DrCase said:
With a pond the size of yours, You would need at least 2 - 150 gal stock tank skippy's

8000 litres is only just over 2100 gallons....big fishload tho ! one 150 gal stocktank would probably do well !! or a couple of drums

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Please folks, use your advice wisely. The size of a pond HAS NOTHING to do with fish load. There are 2000 gallon ponds out there with 10 Koi and there are 1000 gallon ponds with over 20 koi. You are dealing with fish crap and food, not gallons of water.
DoDad posted a very informative chart that addresses this.:bowdown:
Search the forum and you should be able to find it. I copied portions of it that applied to me and added it to a spreadsheet I use to manage my ponds.

Reaction score
I have a 7500 + gallon pond and struggled with green water until I built another small pond, about 350 gallons, put in a piping system to pump water to the bottom, added washed pea gravel and a short stream to main pond and in two days my water was crystal clear. I planted this bog/veggie filter and just cannot believe how clean it keeps my water, in the middle of the high desert, full sun and lots of "stuff" blowing in, dirt, weeds, feathers (I have chickens. :) just another option for you to think about.

Reaction score
pops107 said:
Hello all i am new to this forum so i am hopeing you can help me, I have a 8000l pond that gets full sun and is very heavyly stocked it has Koi, Blue/gold Orf, gold fish and sturgeon x2 etc, All the fish are between 24in and 3in is size so a big variety of fish and size.

i am looking at getting a new filter as the old one i have is haveing some problems, I have found this filter Oase Biotec 10.1 it looks a good filter but i can not find a stockist that has it so i can get my hands on it and have a look for my self, Does any one have one or any experance with one so i can find out how good it is, I have looked at other filter's but this seems to be the best for the money thanks for reading.

http://www.swelluk.com/pond/pond-fi...ter-648.html?gclid=CIfsh7_0nKMCFYGX2Aod2GKbrA

The Oase Biotec 10 has been discontinued.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
lovinglife said:
I have a 7500 + gallon pond and struggled with green water until I built another small pond, about 350 gallons, put in a piping system to pump water to the bottom, added washed pea gravel and a short stream to main pond and in two days my water was crystal clear. I planted this bog/veggie filter and just cannot believe how clean it keeps my water, in the middle of the high desert, full sun and lots of "stuff" blowing in, dirt, weeds, feathers (I have chickens. :) just another option for you to think about.

This is another great example of how you can have a clear pond naturally without UV, or the cost of maintaining one.

Ask a Question