New Filter Needed, What Brand Would You Use?

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have a small pond of approx 800 gals that we've had and loved for years and recently used a Tetra Bio-Pressure filter with UV light. Recently the light housing cracked and will no longer seal the unit and since Tetra will not offer a replacement for a three year old light I am forced to purchase a new filtration system. Certainly the new filter will not be a Tetra brand so I am trying to find some information about what others are using and what might be considered the "best,most reliable" brand on the market. Thanks in advance.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
check out the diy section, you can make some nice filters for very little money, that work great. Ow I can't help you, I have never bought a filter.

Reaction score
Unfortunately Tetra is one of the best brands in that market (sub $500). There is simply no way a company can afford to produce a more long lasting product because virtually all consumers in that market do no research and will always buy whatever is cheaper.

Almost all the money in these mass market combo filters is in the UV. The bio/mechanical part is worthless in all of these. I suggest buying a stand alone model. To me anything in green or in a decorative case is probably for the mass market. I like units that look more like "you have to know what you're doing". Something like a Aqua UV Advantage 2000 8W Sterilizer from Aqua Ultraviolet.

Then for the bio filter I don't think you can beat making one yourself. Unfortunately, I don't really know of any sold in the under $2000 market. Just too easy to make one I think, so no market. Google "trickle tower", "shower filter", "fluidized bed filter", and "moving bed filter" for ideas. I would stay away from all the pad, submerged media type DIY stuff like Skippy. Very old design, much better available.

I'd sure stay away from mass market pressurized filters. I have no idea why anyone would need to pay the extra electric to push a pressurized filter.

Ask a Question