New fish are jumping into waterfall?

Reaction score
Hi Everyone-- was wondering if anyone could help me...

I got about 15 large goldfish on freecycle from a couple that was filling in the pond at their new home. I have a two tiered pond with a waterfall. We've lived here for five summers now. We had fish for two years until a heron (we believe) at ours. We've not been able to get fish to prosper the past few summers.

So.. back to the fish. The pond they were in had the murkiest greenest water i have ever seen. I transferred them on Saturday afternoon. I was planning on scooping out water back and forth for a couple of days, but after a few hours (about 4) they were gasping at the top of the bucket, so we transferred them into the pond. So far I've lost 3 fish. They seem to not know what fish food is. Yesterday was the first day any of them ate any of it. Today they are leaping up into the waterfall like they are trying to escape the pond. I turned off the waterfall and they swam around normally.

Does anyone have any idea might be wrong with them?

thanks!
Jen

Reaction score
Have you tested your water? Goldfish rarely try to jump out of the water unless there is a water problem. How big is the pond? Did you forget to add dechlorinater?

Did you change the water in your pond before adding the fish? It is possible that some toxic materials could have accumulated in the pond while it was fishless.

A lot of questions, I know.

Fifteen large goldfish will produce a lot of ammonia. Since your pond didn't have fish in it, even though there are nitrifying bacteria present, there won't be enough of them to eat all the ammonia your fish are producing.

Last edited:

Ask a Question