New Fish got bullied -

Reaction score
Country
United States
20170417_200632.jpg
Hey guys! Brand new to the forum but have been reading since I inherited my pond last July.

So I inherited a small 8x5x2 pond that had not been taken care of when we purchased our house last July. At that point it was a mosquito breeding ground so I bought 10 comet goldfish to try to combat the infestation while I figured out what I was going to do (fill in pond was the plan). Anyways after about 2 days I started feeling bad for the little guys and started doing research. The pond had a pump and waterfall so I bought a pre filter to help it run clearly. After about two weeks of reading I decided to buy a second stage bio-filter to clear up the water (it was icky brown). By the end of the year I managed to get the water crystal clear (minus the layer of sludge on the bottom).

So cut to this year. All 10 of the feeders survived the winter (super surprised!). I've been scooping out the debris from the bottom slowly but surely to keep my water nice and clear.

Anyways, to get to the point of the post, my little brother decided on his own to buy me a two beautiful 3" shubunkins. I really did not want them as I already feel I'm pushing my limit for sustainability. Feeling bad (my lil bro has aspergers) I decided to go ahead and introduce them. They were adventurous at first but now are being terrorized by my comets! Yesterday The comets were chasing them non stop. Today it seems they aren't as overtly aggressive but whenever they go in the "main" pond the comets will force them back to the side. Now they just hide around the marginals looking rather depressed. Have you guys heard of this? Will the comets let them into their pack? Is there anything I can do to make the comets accept them? I feel so bad for the lil guys.. I attached two pictures. You can see the school of comets in the middle. The shubunkins are hiding in the marginals on the far side of the pond in the picture.

Also question #2 does anyone have advice for getting the muck out of the bottom? Like I said it's Crystal clear but can still see the stuff on the bottom. I really don't want to spend 300 dollars on a pond vac...

Attachments

• 20170417_200549.jpg
    20170417_200549.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 318
Reaction score
Country
United States
The water looks a little brown in this pic but I swear it looks a lot cleaner in person!!

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
How I clean the bottom of my pond is remove the fish and 90% of the water into temporary containers. Then just use a large fish net and scoop everything out. Then I wait a couple of hours while it's filtering the last 10% to add back the water and fish.

As for bullying I'm sure with time they will all adjust.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... I do the same thing - minus removing any water or fish. It's really stressful on your fish to be moved unnecessarily.

But maybe I'm missing something. Why do you feel you need to remove the fish @Magzire ?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hmmm... I do the same thing - minus removing any water or fish. It's really stressful on your fish to be moved unnecessarily.

But maybe I'm missing something. Why do you feel you need to remove the fish @Magzire ?

I have a layer of gravel so I like to trash the water around and get most of the junk off the bottom. Looks super clean after I do it. Plus I don't have to wait a few days to see the fish again. Or harm them by mistake.

I think fish will be fine moving them around, stress or not :)

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I do the same thing, but with my feet from inside the pond. And "super clean" may not be the best goal when it comes to pond maintenance. But if it works for you, great!

Only unwanted nutrients, nothing to worry about :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome!! Hmmm.... It sounds like your little brother bought you a couple females. It's very natural for males to chase females when they are spawning. You can try to introduce more plants... ie hidding places, so they can catch a breather from time to time. For the amount of water surface you have you don't really have a lot of plants. You can try floating plants or water lilies. I have had females practically jump out of the pond to escape being chased. Spawning can get very violent at times! It looks like you have some foam bubbles in your pond which makes me believe you have a good amount of dissolved organic compounds in the pond and you have good reason to want it cleaner. Have you tried scooping up the bottom with a net?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How I clean the bottom of my pond is remove the fish and 90% of the water into temporary containers. Then just use a large fish net and scoop everything out. Then I wait a couple of hours while it's filtering the last 10% to add back the water and fish.

As for bullying I'm sure with time they will all adjust.

Interesting. What do you use for the temporary container?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome!! Hmmm.... It sounds like your little brother bought you a couple females. It's very natural for males to chase females when they are spawning. You can try to introduce more plants... ie hidding places, so they can catch a breather from time to time. For the amount of water surface you have you don't really have a lot of plants. You can try floating plants or water lilies. I have had females practically jump out of the pond to escape being chased. Spawning can get very violent at times! It looks like you have some foam bubbles in your pond which makes me believe you have a good amount of dissolved organic compounds in the pond and you have good reason to want it cleaner. Have you tried scooping up the bottom with a net?

Ok great! Hope they settle in nicely. I have two lilies that are still bouncing back from last winter. They look like they are close to popping! I tried scooping but it gets real murky real quick. I'm scared that when I'm scooping I'll get a fish (happened last year and the lil guy almost died)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Jezmund. I would recommend doing a little scooping at a time. When you see the water clarity go down that is definitely the time to stop. For several years in a row my male goldfish far out numbered the females. As a result it was always like 5 or 6 males chasing 1 female. Unfortunately the females got so battered up by the males against rocks that were in the pond I lost at least one female several years in a row. At that time I had maybe 8 or 10 goldfish. Now a few years later I have over 60 goldfish from the same original group. Go figure! It really is survival of the fittest, but somehow nature finds a way to balance things out :)

Ask a Question